The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

In pursuit of my very first Planted Apisto or Ram tank - originally - I had planned on a Waterbox Peninsula 25 - after a couple weeks of consideration with cardboard cutouts representing the tank footprint - I decided the Peninsula wasn't the best match for what I'm trying to do. I also decided I could fit a slightly larger tank in my space available.

I started looking at 30-40 gallon AIO tanks. Waterbox has an AIO 35.2 listed in their Marine Aquariums (not sure why it would be classified as a Marine tank?) - unfortunately - Waterbox doesn't sell the tank without the stand - which I don't have the space or need for. Odd that the cabinet is optional on other tanks.

So - decided to look elsewhere. I came across Fiji Cube 32 AIO Glass - which seems perfect for the space I have available. This brand doesn't seem as well documented as some of the other brands.

Does anyone have any experience with Fiji Cube and can offer feedback ?

Thanks.

Fiji Cube AIO 32 Footprint (AIO Delineated)

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi Folks,

In pursuit of my very first Planted Apisto or Ram tank - originally - I had planned on a Waterbox Peninsula 25 - after a couple weeks of consideration with cardboard cutouts representing the tank footprint - I decided the Peninsula wasn't the best match for what I'm trying to do. I also decided I could fit a slightly larger tank in my space available.

I started looking at 30-40 gallon AIO tanks. Waterbox has an AIO 35.2 listed in their Marine Aquariums (not sure why it would be classified as a Marine tank?) - unfortunately - Waterbox doesn't sell the tank without the stand - which I don't have the space or need for. Odd that the cabinet is optional on other tanks.

So - decided to look elsewhere. I came across Fiji Cube 32 AIO Glass - which seems perfect for the space I have available. This brand doesn't seem as well documented as some of the other brands.

Does anyone have any experience with Fiji Cube and can offer feedback ?

Thanks.

Fiji Cube AIO 32 Footprint (AIO Delineated)
View attachment 1029575

Regards,
Scott
Hey Scott... looks like you joined the site not long ago so welcome!

Fiji Cube is a solid company, with solid products and a solid owner. A friend of mine, who owned an aquarium store (mostly reef with some fresh/planted) dealt directly with the owner. I never got anything but great reports from him on Fiji Cube products. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey Scott... looks like you joined the site not long ago so welcome!

Fiji Cube is a solid company, with solid products and a solid owner. A friend of mine, who owned an aquarium store (mostly reef with some fresh/planted) dealt directly with the owner. I never got anything but great reports from him on Fiji Cube products. Hope this helps!
Hi.

Thanks !

Yep - all new and a bit overwhelmed - I can't tell you how many video's I've watched on substrate. I haven't had a tank in around 30 years. Last one was a 55 gallon marine tank that didn't go so well - but I didn't have the vast information resources we now have at our finger tips (think dial up modems and BBS's days). So - yeah - figured I'd give a freshwater planted tank a shot this time - LOL - as I thought it would be simpler - silly me.

While I was vaguely familiar with African Cichlids - I never knew anything about Apistogramma's or Ram's until a few weeks ago - several YouTube videos later and I think I'm hooked. A nicely planted aquarium with some dwarf Cichlids as a center piece, an appropriately sized school of nano dither fish, and a cleanup crew seem to be as nice as a good marine aquarium.

Thanks for the feedback on Fiji Cube - it's a sizeable investment and I just wanted to be sure I was headed down the right path. The size seems perfect for where I need to put it and I only have to worry about the look from one side - instead of both in the peninsula tank. The AIO's are new to me but they seem like the only way to fly - as it hides most of the hardware supporting the tank - while being very compact.

I'm sure I'll be back with a million more questions - this seems to be a nice forum to be a part of.

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
232 Posts
One of the tanks I have is an AIO 28g. I will say the simplicity of it is really good. One drawback is flow control. Not that it cannot be accomplished, it's just a little trickier.

I'm an old reef guy and while there certainly are absolutely beautiful planted tanks I am not so sure they can compare to a nicely stocked reef with stony and soft coral with the fish that are available now. However, there is cost and a good size reef can easily get into the tens of thousands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fiji cube is kinda useless for fresh IME, this is coming from a wannabe reefer. You could just do like a 20 long rimless and have a similar look to the Fiji cube. Also marineland makes a 45 gallon cube that looks cool for 230$
Hi.

Thanks for your insights.

I'll gladly take a look at the Marineland tank you mentioned.

I seem to be gravitating towards the AIO tanks because I like the fact that you can hide most of your equipment cleanly in the AIO bays. This is my first real time out so perhaps a cheaper alternative would make more sense?

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Are you planning to do co2? AIO tanks can be nice, but they can be more challenging with regard to co2 since you don't have a choice on the outflow placement to optimize an in-tank diffuser and you can't do a reactor as easily. I have seen people mention using Tom Barr's internal venturi reactor design successfully with AIO tanks, so that could be an option for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Are you planning to do co2? AIO tanks can be nice, but they can be more challenging with regard to co2 since you don't have a choice on the outflow placement to optimize an in-tank diffuser and you can't do a reactor as easily. I have seen people mention using Tom Barr's internal venturi reactor design successfully with AIO tanks, so that could be an option for you.
Hi.

Initially - I was going to try and get by without CO2 - with simple beginner plants and Excel/Flourish.

Here's my thinking for my whole startup - perhaps a sanity check is in order. I've been watching every YouTube video on planted tanks I could find over the past few months.

So the Fiji Cube gives me approx 24"x16" of floorspace to work with. I'd like to add an under gravel plenum sized at 20"x10" - using a single riser tube cut short to be easily hidden by scenery - and a small air pump for minimal flow. Planning to place Marine Pure Biofilter Media Gems underneath the plenum. Planning an escarpment type tank with rocks roughly defining the area of plenum coverage. Adding a relatively shallow layer of natural sand in the area not covered by the plenum in case I go with Bolivian Rams. On top of the plenum I planned on using a layer of typical enriched planted substrate, some Laterite - capped with an inert layer of Eco Complete (crushed lava rock). The part above the plenum would be the planted portion. The AIO section loaded out with the standard bio balls and filter socks - with the thought of modifying to BCB cat litter baskets if needed.

I could be totally out to lunch but this illustrates what I've been thinking.
:)

Regards,
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.