The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have had my 4 figure 8 puffers for about a month now housed in a 30 tall with a few plants and drift wood. prior to there purchase i set this tank up for 4 months and let it cycle and introduced snails that i over feed to get there numbers up.
at the time of the puffers introduction i had an estimated 150 snails in the tank and now have very few if any remaining i didn't think they could wipe out this many in such a Short amount of time.

so my question is will my puffers suffer any ill effects if they are placed on a brine shrimp diet while i try and raise the number of snails in one of my other tanks so i can provide them with a steady supply of snails. they have been on this diet for about a week and continue to be very dark with bright green to yellow markings so i believe them to not be suffering any stress nor have they shown any signs of weight loss.

all suggestions welcome

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Hey the title of the thread says dwarf puffers, but you're talking about figure 8 puffers. What gives?

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't think there would be any ill effects, provided the puffers take to the brine shrimp. I actually think you should be feeding them a variety of foods anyway. Don't puffers love blood worms, too?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey the title of the thread says dwarf puffers, but you're talking about figure 8 puffers. What gives?

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't think there would be any ill effects, provided the puffers take to the brine shrimp. I actually think you should be feeding them a variety of foods anyway. Don't puffers love blood worms, too?

if I'm not mistaken aren't figure 8 puffers dwarf puffers also a more general title get more attention.

i haven't tried blood worms yet since the one store around here that carries them doesn't currently have any live ones in stock but should in a few weeks i hope.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Aren't figure 8 puffers like 2 to 3 inches long? I wouldn't call them dwarf. Nonetheless, they are probably one of the most beautiful types of puffer, that's for sure!

Actual dwarf puffers stay about 3/4 of an inch. They would be TINY to you now that you're used to the Figure 8's, lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you use the term dwarf puffer most people will assume you're talking about Carinotetraodon travancoricus, the true dwarf puffer.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Why don't you vary their diet some with fresh seafood from the fish market/grocery store?

Clams (on the half shell) are always a fav with puffers. Shrimp also go over well.

Just be careful to remove any uneaten food (if the little pigs leave any behind) since this stuff can pollute a tank really quickly if it decays.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
You need to feed them foods that can help them keep their beaks worn down. Krill, snails etc. I fed mine snails and frozen krill.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have tried live shrimp but they ignore them. i guess i will give crill a shot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts