The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

People on 2 french forums I know keep on being stuck on the theory that nutrients cause algae. They keep on using anti-phosphates resins in planted tanks, or keeping for example their PO4 levels low or non-existent.

Then they have algae and they don't understand why.

I tell them to add more ferts, if their levels on NO3 and PO4 are at zero. But they don't, fearing it will trigger more algae.

They are also doing a fixation on the PO4/NO3 ratio. Telling that it is very important to have 1P to 10N ratio. As for myself often have high PO4, ratio is messed up, and I don't care. Plants are doing fine, no algae. I know plants do not care about ratios.

Is it me? or what? just venting, a little discouraged. They think PO4 is the cause of algae. I know it is not simple like that. Trying to tell them but often they don't believe me.

Michel.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I've been trying to show logic and falsifying this myth for a good 20 years now.
Welcome to the club. :cool:

A good myth is hard to kill.

But........years ago, I was certainly in the minority.
I was correct then, and most understand I am today.
It's not so much about being right or wrong, it's much more about looking at the observations............then seeing what conclusions you can draw from them.

I have detailed dozens of tanks over the years that add EI or some variation thereof without algae issues, with excellent plant growth, with just about every one of the 400 or so species of plants, with large fish and/or shrimp populations etc.

Tank journals, open house events etc.

The hobby has always been about growing nice aquatic plants/gardening etc........not limiting nutrients for algae management. Some folks lose their focus. So it's MOST helpful to direct them back towards the original goal.

Isolated groups of hobbyists can become very insular and not realize good information outside their group. So the web brings some of these groups into the open and in contact with new information.

Each person needs to question their own views and hypothesis and falsify things for themselves. This is done through their own free will. You cannot force someone to think logically.

All you can do is offer more and more observations and evidence.
Pictures are good, how can PO4 limitation be a key element of nice planted tanks and no algae issues when this clown can dose 10 ppm a week as KH2PO4, 30 ppm of NO3, 45 ppm of K+ and Fe at 1ppm every week for several years with a wide range of scapes, fish loaded etc?

Maybe it's all photoshop and lies?
Why would they show off their tank, then lie about what they do?
Measuring some parameters with test kits can lead to potential errors, but we KNOW what we add as dry fertilizer salts and the tank's volume. Clearly the above ppm's are non limiting to any algae.

So how can such tank's exist if their hypothesis is true independent of other factors? It cannot. This has nothing to do with faith or belief, it has everything to do with the facts and evidence. But they need to think about that and ask themselves that question. You cannot do it for them. So give folks a break, they will come around. Just keep after them with evidence.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe it's all photoshop and lies?
Why would they show off their tank, then lie about what they do?
Measuring some parameters with test kits can lead to potential errors, but we KNOW what we add as dry fertilizer salts and the tank's volume. Clearly the above ppm's are non limiting to any algae.
Yeah it's all photoshop and lies Tom and you do not exist. You are just a virtual entity lurking in the internet, MOUHAHAHAHAH! just joking. :eek:

Your tanks are pretty, maybe one day I will reach a level near that. But, I am still and algae and plants grower for now lol.

Thank you for the encouragement and forgive my english, french is my native language.

About the EI method. Is there a french translation of it that I could show to them, if you consent of course. I am tempted to translate it (and pinpoint to the original for copyright). I follow it, even without CO2, just dosing half less with glutaraldehyde for Carbon.

Thank you, Michel Desjardins.

Another subject, my last mistake : having too much fate in my PO4 test. It was showing high level, so I did stop dosing KH2PO4, then it was not making sense. Was doing large water changes, and PO4 level always on top. At one point I saw P deficiencies, I began dosing again KH2PO4 and will throw PO4 test to the garbage, will not buy another one. Plants already doing fine since I began dosing P again.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
There does not seem to be a French version yet! I think Tom usually welcomes translations, as long as the original is linked and properly credited. :)

So far, I found Polish, Dutch, Romanian, Portugese, Croatian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Turkish, Chinese, German, and Russian.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There does not seem to be a French version yet! I think Tom usually welcomes translations, as long as the original is linked and properly credited. :)

So far, I found Polish, Dutch, Romanian, Portugese, Croatian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Turkish, Chinese, German, and Russian.
Thank you Darkblade if i translate it. It will be credited to Tom of course.

Michel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts