The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any hints or tips or anything to control an explosion of Red hair algae. Blowing up everywhere...

I am trying to regulate the water quality closely right at the moment. I have also tried a little bit of H2O2 to kill some off. Pulling out the driftwood, and using a toothbrush (not my currently used toothbrush...) to brush it off. I am just having a really hard time getting this tank to rise above the algae problem. I have a couple of possible reasons that I am working on.

1. I don't have enough plants in the tank and need to up it a bit. This option wouldn't be too bad anyway, because I think it needs some more anyway.

2. I have 2 Firemouths, and a Convict living there right now. I had a couple of tetras playing with them, but we moved recently and I lost them. Is it possible that the cichlids, being messy eaters, are just making too much of a mess in the tank and upping the nutrients in the water?

The tank is a 40g by the way. I have a Rena canister filter under the stand, and a powerhead moving water. I keep it set at about 79 degrees, I also have a 50/50 CF light with a moonlight that gets about 13 hours of light.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I can't say I've ever had (or heard of?) red hair algae, so I can't help you there. But it's never a bad idea to add more plants/moss/floaters just to keep the nutrients at bay. You'll just have to find the ones that won't be eaten by your cichlids.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone got any hints or tips or anything to control an explosion of Red hair algae. Blowing up everywhere...

I am trying to regulate the water quality closely right at the moment. I have also tried a little bit of H2O2 to kill some off. Pulling out the driftwood, and using a toothbrush (not my currently used toothbrush...) to brush it off. I am just having a really hard time getting this tank to rise above the algae problem. I have a couple of possible reasons that I am working on.

1. I don't have enough plants in the tank and need to up it a bit. This option wouldn't be too bad anyway, because I think it needs some more anyway.

2. I have 2 Firemouths, and a Convict living there right now. I had a couple of tetras playing with them, but we moved recently and I lost them. Is it possible that the cichlids, being messy eaters, are just making too much of a mess in the tank and upping the nutrients in the water?

The tank is a 40g by the way. I have a Rena canister filter under the stand, and a powerhead moving water. I keep it set at about 79 degrees, I also have a 50/50 CF light with a moonlight that gets about 13 hours of light.
I'm in Bend, and am having/had the same issue. Not very explosive growth nor a plauge though with mine. Mine was what looked like regular filimentous algae but was bright red, now it is more brown but still has a red tinge to itand is holding in way of spread. Im taking this as the result of my water changes and backing off on my nutes. It started around the 20th I would say.

·
Registered
548 Posts
13 hours of lighting is a lot I think. Try to reduce the photoperiod to 10 hrs maybe less. Also, you may want to do a blackout, I'm not sure how many days though. Hope you solve your algae issue

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had read somewhere that a good planted tank should get in the 12-14 hours range of light. I guess that I will start slowly lowering the amount of time i turn it on for. Is that something that you need to gradually reduce, or can you reduce it right away? We'll see. I picked up a few swords and a few wisteria plants to try and combat some of the algae. Hopefully everything together will eventually reduce the algae. I know it'll never go away completely, but eventually it won't be as big of a battle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way...Anyone have any idea what that plant actually is? I can't find it anywhere to ID it, and haven't seen it in any of the stores here for a while now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought that Nana stayed moderately small. I thought it was a type of Anubius, but it's really big and tall. I had to split it, and it's probably now about a foot tall. Some of it's leaves are about 3 inches wide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts