The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I purchased Java Moss from a seller on Amazon.com and unfortunately received some snail eggs which hatched. I don't know what kind of snail they are but I want them out.

I've seen some people suggest assassin snails but this doesn't make sense to me. Are assassin snails somehow less prolific breeders than other snails? I don't want to replace the snail infestation of species X with species Y, I want all snails gone. Can someone with experience in this clarify?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
assassin snails are typically more interesting to the average aquarium hobbyist and they also sell for a decent amount of money.
If you want all snails gone forever overdose fenbendazole. It is lethal to them.

Reactions: Aquatic Mag

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Clown loaches require schools and get about a foot long, they should not be recommended for snail removal.
Assassin snails breed more slowly, are limited by the amount of other snails and various gunk that they can obtain, and are usually buried anyway. When you do see them, they're fairly attractive, and it's visually better to have maybe two dozen assassins that you'll see maybe one or two of at a time than to have a few hundred pond snails. Plus, you can trade/sell them to other people.
Basically you're trading whatever pest snails you have now for what'll seem like one or two fairly attractive snails that can be sold if you have a few too many. And they have far fewer babies at a time, so you probably won't have to remove any at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
assassin snails are typically more interesting to the average aquarium hobbyist and they also sell for a decent amount of money.
If you want all snails gone forever overdose fenbendazole. It is lethal to them.
Second this suggestion - fenbendazole dosing will get rid of snails but also might take out shrimp and fish if ODing.

Check out this topic of the death toll

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
FWIW, if you tank is well maintained, water changes, removal of dead leaves, not overfeeding, you snails will either not survive or will be kept to a minimum. They're actually a good barometer whether your tank needs additional maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts