The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've been contemplating fiddlers in my 20L...I have driftwood and plants that reach the surface if I leave an inch or two of air space at the top. I know for certain that they can and WILL escape if there is any space to do so (I had a couple many moons ago). Their tankmates would be guppies and tetras and a single ADF.

I read mixed things on the fresh vs. brackish thing. AFAIK they cannot reproduce in fresh water, but they can live just fine in it...at least that's what I've gathered. Similar to nerite snails, in this regard.

Reactions: Chibils and Teebo

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I remembered saving this a while ago.

I've never kept crabs before, but I thought it would be neat to do this if I ever did.
If call it an underwater terrarium, I wonder what it would do if you put some air plants in there... Or some high humidity emersed plants.. Or some floaters to really mess with people

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
326 Posts
Do you pump fresh air into it I see the air line?
I think that's the idea. You just tip a jar or bottle and the air fills the chamber then bubbles out the highest exit point. I think it would be cool to do it with a small pitcher or oil decanter. If you positioned it right the bubbles would pour up from the spout.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just got back from the LFS, where I asked about fiddlers. I was told that while they will survive in freshwater, they won't live as long and do best in a tank specific to their brackish needs. Down the road I'd really like to set up a 2nd 20L specifically for little crabs.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Fiddler crabs do not do well in freshwater aquariums, even with cleverly arranged bits of air. They need land to run about on and burrow in, they aren't even all that aquatic. They also absolutely need brackish water to live very long at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know I've had them before and, with nothing but a heater cord coming out of the tank, I found one a few rooms over. He went for a nice walk but he was sure glad to be back in the tank.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can definitely attest to their escapology skills! I had one in a 10 gallon kit with a plastic hood when I was a kid. It would get between the heater and the glass, work its way up to the top corner where it would lift the hood and start climbing out. He usually got stuck half way out when he couldn't reach anything to push against to lift the hood. Usually. It would also tap the glass at night. Took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have one of those underwater crabhomes. I tried to keep a fiddler crab, before I knew anything about them. It was strictly freshwater and had nothing to burrow in. The poor thing died in a couple months :( I would like to try again in a brackish tank with just a small pool of water and lots of sand. My kids would love it!

Ben

Reactions: Teebo
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.