The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local fish store has fiddler crabs for sale. Does anyone have experience with crabs in a planted tank, or crabs in general? The store owner didn't have much to say, and they aren't mentioned in the books I have from the library on planted tanks.

Thanks!
Anna

30 gallon goldfish tank (three 7-inch goldfish)
10 gallon planted tank (mollies, harlequin rasboras, and japonica shrimp)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I don't know how fiddler crabs do living in fresh water in the long run, being from saltwater shores, but I think they are the sort of omnivore that would happily eat many aquatic plants.

That being said, I've read of land crabs being kept in planted paludariums without issue.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I remember hearing fiddler crabs are butt holes, the red clawed ones are a little better suited, but don't quote me lol

Normally crabs are harder to keep in planted tanks since they require land to perch on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know how fiddler crabs do living in fresh water in the long run, being from saltwater shores, but I think they are the sort of omnivore that would happily eat many aquatic plants.

That being said, I've read of land crabs being kept in planted paludariums without issue.
Fiddler Crabs Are A Brackish Water Semi Land Crab. If You Have A Paludariums They Will Be Fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, it seems like they are not going to fit into the type of tanks that I currently have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts