The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking around for some mesh screen that I could use to create a moss wall and came across some fibre glass insect screen at the local hardware store... Has anyone here ever used this stuff and any idea if there would be any issues with using it?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Not sure about that but the plastic needlepoint grids for 50c work great!

sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
dont use that, it will break down over time, and may be treated with chemicals that are not good for your tank.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Your windows are exposed to harsher elements than a fish tank. I'm not saying it won't break down in an aquarium, but it will probably take a long time. I've had some in a tank for 3+ years now, and it still looks good. I have screen on my porch that has been there for nearly 10 years. It's not as tough as new screen, but still holds its own.

This is all only from personal experience. User experience may vary.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Window screening will be either aluminum or nylon; neither will degrade in water but I'd go with nylon... better yet is to use the needle point grid, it's easier to work with and comes in a wide variety of colors to ease beginning stage annoyances, haha.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i used needle point grid from michael's. i should have gotten something other than clear however. it's going to take forever to cover up. might go back and check for something darker.

jim

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i used needle point grid from michael's. i should have gotten something other than clear however. it's going to take forever to cover up. might go back and check for something darker.

jim
+1 on that. It comes in black or white, small or large pattern. Skip the small as I went that route and the moss is not penetrating like I expected.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I used the black needle point grid in back with a fiberglass layer in front. I sandwiched the moss in between. It grew through the screen nicely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok.. I did find some of the black needle point grids at the Michaels up here. Pretty cheap.

Was at the hardware store again and saw some galvanized aluminum mesh that is used to do mortar work. Has anyone used that or have opinions on its safety for fish and inverts in a tank? Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts