The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some fiberglass screen from lowes the other day and used it to reduce my light levels. I was looking at it and it's the perfect size for a filter guard. Just wondering if this stuff is ok to be in the water. I don't want it to leech anything that will harm fish, shrimp, and my plants obviously.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought some fiberglass screen from lowes the other day and used it to reduce my light levels. I was looking at it and it's the perfect size for a filter guard. Just wondering if this stuff is ok to be in the water. I don't want it to leech anything that will harm fish, shrimp, and my plants obviously.
I wouldn't just in-case

Here's what it can do to humans in the air
Fiberglass will irritate the eyes, skin, and the respiratory system. Potential symptoms include irritation of eyes, skin, nose, throat, dyspnea (breathing difficulty); sore throat, hoarseness and cough.[16] Scientific evidence demonstrates that fiber glass is safe to manufacture, install and use when recommended work practices are followed to reduce temporary mechanical irritation.
So i wouldn't imagine it gets any nicer submerged in water.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was actually trying to find an answer and found that thread. I thought the same thing at first, but realized that type of fiberglass is the kind used for insulation. The fluffy stuff in your attic. This mesh though isn't like that it's meant for window screens. I'm thinking the way this fiberglass is made is different? I've been handling it for the light diffuser and I've had no ill effects

This stuff:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_49314-55-30...screen+wire&page=1&facetInfo=Fiberglass|Black

·
Registered
280 Posts
+1 on the plastic craft mesh, it's easy to cut and shape and is perfect for keeping shrimp out of filters, I use it in multiple tanks. It's about $2 for an 8x11 sheet at Michaels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts