The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im new here but kinda experienced in planted tank, now i want to start on a 180 gallons planted tank, i want to make carpet like of foreground plants. here are the questions...

1. HC or Glosso?
2. is 2 T5's 5ft lighting be good enough for HC or Glosso in a 180 gallons?
3. how much Co2 should i inject in enough to keep my ph around 6.7 and enough to keep my fish alive?
4. what type of thing do i use to count the amount of Co2 I inject into the tank?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
623 Posts
HC looks nicer than glosso imo.

Glosso in my tank grows up and not sideways, maybe because its a 20g Tall?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Your light might not be intense enough to have it grow horizontally. What's your WPG and how high is the 20 gallon tall?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then what kind of lighting for plants do you guys recommend me to get? any of you guys sell it for cheap? and how i measure the kh/gh....and guys this is a 180 gallons

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Derrick, with 180gal you may want to totally reconsider your new tank plan.

Maybe keep it low tech, and use low light carpeting plants that look like Glosso.
Otherwise, don't invest in Co2 unless you plan on spending a LOT more on lights.
Also consider that tiny leaf plants such as HC will get "lost" in such a large tank.

best to spend some time studying threads on the Low Tech forum for more ideas.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You will need lighting around 2.5 wpg on that tank.

How do you test KH and GH? Try a KH and GH test kit.

There is no "cheap" lighting.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Might want to read Rex's guide. It will answer most questions and is a valuble resource for planted tanks all in one place. rexgrigg.com

·
Registered
623 Posts
Your light might not be intense enough to have it grow horizontally. What's your WPG and how high is the 20 gallon tall?
I currently have one 65W 6700K CF light on it. I have a second bulb that I never turn on cause I dont have pressurized co2.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would turn the second one one with co2 of course.

for the 180 you would want at least 450w of good lighting over it and HC looks much better than glosso IMO.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would turn the second one one with co2 of course.

for the 180 you would want at least 450w of good lighting over it and HC looks much better than glosso IMO.
well yeah, but money is holding me back from pressurized co2 atm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh man...sound like alot of work, i already have most of the co2 set up, lights i'm planning to use T5 to cut down the electric bill a bit. so Glosso would be best? anyone sell good amount of glosso for a decent price?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
How long is your tank? 6 feet? For carpet plants, you'll need to spend a good amount of money, regardless if it's PC or MH lighting.

HC will spread slowly. I've found my glosso will spread faster, but it's up to you which plants will look the best for you. How much glosso or HC are you looking for? I can probably get you a good amount of both. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Alternative, easier carpet plant which will grow fine with a lot less light is Marselia. Very hardy and slow at first, but a good looking foregrown that will grow fine with 2.5 watts per gallon. Lower maintenance too. T5s are most efficient, but not as many choices with a 6 foot tank. You could rig two 36" setups in a canopy. Best bang for buck, check out PC lights at Aquarium Hobby Supply, for sure.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Betowess,

I don't have a super large tank so I can't say, but would 2.5 WPG still be needed for this tank since it's 180 gallons? 2.5 WPG over this tank would be 450 watts!

I just spoke to the OP on the phone and he doesn't have a canopy, just a glass top, so that cuts down on his choices even a bit more.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yeah, the wpg rule doesn't apply to that large of tank. One thing though is the depth and HC needs some light. He ought to ditch the glass top if it all possible, IMO.

Maybe a Current Nova Extreme T5 might be a choice. I think they make a six footer.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Bill Harada is using a Tek 4x54 watt over his 120 gallon just fine. Its the same dimension save for the length. Granted, its mostly a Crypt tank. But super high light tanks require so much more intense ferts and less margin of error. So in that respect, maybe more of a middle light tank is the way to go. That's kind of what I shoot for with both my 90 and 65 gallon...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts