The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will my plants grow ok with no dirt and plenty of ferts? I have already built my tank and am too lazy to strip it down.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I assume you mean with inert gravel? Plants should do fine. They do appreciate ferts for their roots which can be provided with root tabs. Fish will also contribute to this via poop. If you dont add root tabs I would expect to wait awhile before you see good growth. It makes logical sense to have some sort of fert for the roots though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes, they'll still be alright if fertilized properly and your lighting, etc. is in order. Like Chad mentioned, the mulm generated in the tank will eventually contribute some, and all aquatic plants have the ability to absorb nutrients in the water column, even ones described as heavy root feeders. Not to say they wouldn't appreciate or benefit from something like root tabs, which would still be relatively easy to add.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have root tabs that's not a problem. I just don't want to strip this thing down as I have about 10 cichlids and only a ten gallon crisis tank to put them in

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.