The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say jungle vals are easy and grow quick. For some reason my vals seem to die.

I've changed the gravel to fluorite.
The lights are T-5 HO
Tank is 40 Gallons.
I'm on the hunt for CO2 and still saving coin & researching regulators. I know the addition of CO2 will help, but ferts are also needed.

What I've been doing:
Excel & liquid CO2, but I've read that this can harm vals. So I stopped using it.

Once a week I do a water change and add a dose of mineralize (from seachem). It's 13.5% Calcium, 1.2% Magnesium.

Occasional (2 times a week, 3 times?) I add a dose of envy (also from seachem). http://www.aquavitro.com/products/envy.html

I'm on a well and have been told that we've got hard water.

Enter the confusion:
I was at a LFS where I found out about the Barr report and EI. At this fish store they had powdered KNO3 (potassium nitrate) and KH2PO4 (potassium phosphate). But without selling the stuff, they told me to read up on the barr report then come back for the goods.

It will take me some time to get my head around all the info on that site, and I found a thread here where the EI was discussed (pros & cons).

So ...what's missing in my tank that vals aren't happy? What's needed for plants to take off (and what changes once CO2 gets added)?

Attachments

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
You'll need to dose other nutrients in time, but the two you listed should take care of the three major ones.

Without seeing photos of your val and the damage I'd have to say it seems like the excel damaged them. In a few days/weeks they should recover and start growing again.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What is this "liquid Co2" you speak of? I know folks use Excel as a carbon source, is there another product as well?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Yea they,look somewhat normal. They do this,when they are trimmed, excel or recently planted. Keep doing what your doing and before you know it you'll have 10 feet of vals

-Chris

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guy at the LFS who was suggesting the EI said the flourish is mostly water, and I've been suspecting that what I've been using so far has been useless.

I know the 2 powders would supply the macro nutrients for the EI, would the Envy supply the micro / trace elements?

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Flourish is mainly water. It is a decent fertilizer but it extremely dilute, which means you have to dose large amounts which gets expensive.

I'm on my cellphone on a plane at the moment or I'd check the ingredients of the aquavitro. Most people use CSM+B for the micro ferts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Envy

Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 2.5 mg
Thiamine (B1) 20 µg
Riboflavin (B2) 20 µg
Niacin (B3) 120 µg
Choline (B4) 4 µg
Pantothenate (B5) 70 µg
Vitamin B 120.8 µg
Inositol 10 µg
Arginine 300 µg
Glutamate 600 µg
Lysine 300 µg
Tyrosine 190 µg
Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids 600 µg

Ingredients: chlorella, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, thiamine, riboflavin, inositol, choline chloride, vitamin B12

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Ah, then no it provides no micro nutrients at all. In fact, none of those are actually vital to dose and as far as I've been able to tell the jury is still out on whether dosing them helps plants in any noticeable way, or if plants can even take up those vitamins from the water column at all.

You'll want something like CSM+B for micros, or one of the other micro nutrient products out there.

In my opinion it is another product designed to fleece more cash out of people.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks, that's what I thought. I've had my suspicion about it, used it regularly, and used it infrequently, and didn't really notice a difference.

I'll call the LFS that had the powders and ask them about the micros and CSM+B.

Thanks for the help.

Is the mineralize useless as well? It says on the front "raises general hardness." If I'm starting with hard water, I don't think this product would be needed.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
General hardness is primarily made up of calcium and magnesium - both essential plant nutrients. But if your water is hard to begin with (about about 6 GH) then you almost certainly won't need to dose either of them.

Ordering fertilizers can also be done online. Ebay is a decent source as well as this site: http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=cats&Edit=2&EditU=1&Regit=2

I order my ferts from the aquariumfertilizer site, they are quite affordable.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure about this stuff crossing the border. I'll try to find something local first.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How are you planting your vals? If you are planting the crown under the substrate that might be your problem. I had vals but they never really grew until I pulled the crown just a tad bit over the substrate. Now they are growing like crazy with runners everywhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Study the plant not the nutrients. Its a brackish plant alongside glossostigma you fellas wanna grow it like a weed? What if I told you a super secret not really I grew a glossostigma carpet in a month... double your magnesium that's it all there is to it.

Epsom is all you need.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Get the CO2, the plants will all grow really much faster/far more vigor etc.

Add the ferts, that part is easy.
Dry DIY ferts= 1000X cheaper

Stay away from the other.
Mostly water with a tiny bit of ferts in them.

Till you add that CO2, basically cut EI by 1/3rd.
Water changes= plants will love them.
So do fish. Do a weekly 50% till you get around to adding cO2 gas and then likely thereafter.

You can adjust and do other modifications to suit if these are somehow abhorrent or something, just ask.

I'd dose about 10-15 mls daily of Excel or generic equivalent.

Once you add CO2, this will take some time and experience.
Err on safety for fish.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Study the plant not the nutrients. Its a brackish plant alongside glossostigma you fellas wanna grow it like a weed? What if I told you a super secret not really I grew a glossostigma carpet in a month... double your magnesium that's it all there is to it.

Epsom is all you need.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
Epsom ...as in Epsom salt?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts