The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my 75 gallon as a planted tank. I have a few Anaubias, Java Ferns, Christmas Moss and Mini Sword plants, fish, shrimp and Nerite snails. I have a BML red light but have a Dutch XB on order and have a CO2 system on order. The substrate is mineralized soil with Black Diamond cap.

I will be adding Glosso and some Swords to the tank along with more shrimp, Nerite snails and fish after the CO2 comes in.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to fertilize, or do I need to fertilize at all? I have well water so don't need any dechlor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cheapest way would be to buy the fertilizers dry and to either mix your own solution or dry dose them. Standard EI dosing would be the easiest. You can use this calculator to find the correct amounts for your water volume: http://calc.petalphile.com/

KH2PO4 and KNO3 are the standard macros people dose and then CSM+B has the micros covered pretty well. Assuming you are doing weekly water changes, alternate days so you can avoid phosphate binding with iron.

aquariumfertilizer.com and greenleafaquariums.com are two places that I know that will sell what you need. I believe both have EI packages.

More detail can be found here: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2819-EI-light-for-those-less-techy-folks

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If you have a strong light and a CO2 system you will probably need fertilizer at some point. I buy from Greenleaf aquariums, get dry ferts they last so much longer. You should be able to get every fertilizer you need for under 30 bucks. By each fertilizer separately so you can adjust to what your plants need.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
When you have high light and CO2 injection fertilizers will be a must. Here is an article that will explain the basics of nutrient management. I think it's important to understand why we dose what we dose rather than give a how much or how often example. As far as where to buy fertilizers I like to support local members. Nilocg can be found in the for sale sections. He is reputable and will beat any price you may find. He can also help with questions in a timely manner unlike most larger companies.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Zorfox, I like to know why I'm doing something so I'll read that article and also contact Nilocg. I'd much rather support an individual than a big company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts