The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 gal has been doing GREAT and is filling in very well. I have C02, aqua base, and a red sea filter and good lighting. I had been using a small amount of flurish in the tanks but for the past two weeks Ive been out of town and the tanks didnt get the flurish. Well... two weeks later the tanks and shrimp actualy look alittle better w/o the ferts.... is it my imagination? Could I have been using too much? & should I just discontinue the ferts all togeather (or the c02) with such a small tank?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The critical thing is the light intensity. If it is high you need fertilizer plus carbon, but if it is low you don't. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the definition of "high" and "low" are for a nano tank. I have 20 watts over about 2 gallons, fertilize and add Excel, and the plants grow, but slowly, and algae have been leaving me alone for now. So, that isn't likely to be "low" light, and I doubt it being "high" light. Based on that I would guess that 12-15 watts would be low, and 27+ watts would be high. But, that is just a wild guess.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an energy saver bulb over mine. Its the 100 watt equivilant in an energy saver bulb. So how many watts is that?! LOL

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The bulbs all have to have the wattage marked on them or on the package. The X watts equivalent number means nothing at all. It is the actual power consumed that is the significant number. Of course it also matters how high above the water the light is. Mine is about 6 inches above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts