The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Its my first post here as I've just ventured into the fabulous world of planted tanks.

In my bare bottom Aqua One Betta Trio (videos on YouTube) I have 2 female hmpk and 1 hm male with xl fins which are fully grown adults in the 3 divided sections. The bio load as such is very minimal and the flow rate is around 90 lph (3x turnover). Tank has an overflow sump at the back type filteration and is heated to a steady 25°C. Today I've added 3 java ferns (5 to 8 leaves on each that vary between 3 to 6" tall) and a handfull of java moss tied to small lava rocks and also a 1" clump (3" tall) of hair grass rooted into some fine gravel in a shot glass. Do you think I'll be needing Seachem flourish or some other fertilizer to keep them healthy. I'm using Seachem Neutral Regulator to keep the ph stable, as it used to drop by 0.5 from 7.0 in a day. Being a phosphate based buffer it should act as a nutrient for the plants, although I only needed 5 grams for about 30 litres that the tank holds to stablize the ph at 7.0 between the bi-weekly 25%wc, kh is 4.0 and gh 3.0 ppm and nitrates are still at 0 as the tank has only been running for 4 weeks and I've kept it super clean to avoid any ammonia spikes. Also, how long shall I keep the 9.2 watt led light on for? The tank gets diffused sunlight as it is placed in a corner with big windows with partial blockout blinds on either sides. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... cheers!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
One of these things is not like the other....
All the other plants. apart form the hair grass, will survive with minimal external input...or light.

It is reasonably easy to see if you are doing ok with the moss. If it grows, it will have bright green tips, if it has less than ideal light, it will darken to capture more light. Failing that it will start to go a pale brown colour...by which time trying anything else is a better idea.

As for sunlight hitting your tank. That has never ended well for me... That green spotty algae on the glass can be really stubborn to scrub off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of these things is not like the other....
All the other plants. apart form the hair grass, will survive with minimal external input...or light.

It is reasonably easy to see if you are doing ok with the moss. If it grows, it will have bright green tips, if it has less than ideal light, it will darken to capture more light. Failing that it will start to go a pale brown colour...by which time trying anything else is a better idea.

As for sunlight hitting your tank. That has never ended well for me... That green spotty algae on the glass can be really stubborn to scrub off.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry if it wasn't clearly stated originally but the tank doesn't get any direct sunlight. Its reasonably well lit by diffused sunlight filtering through the blinds on the windows.
Now to assume the worst case scenario that the moss does starts getting brown. How long would that take to happen and what would be the way to go about fixing that situation? Thanks

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You may notice it standing still when added to a new tank for a little while, but soon you should see the little bright green growing tips.
If it doesn't do well where you put it, just change its position, if it had weak water circulation, to somewhere with more, if it sat in too deep shade, to somewhere with less... (this really should not be an issue, I have some only receiving partial reflected light from the window in the room next door, and it still ticks over). They also respond negatively to extremely high light... once again not issue you should have a problem with... It is near impossible to kill. It doesn't just melt overnight. I only feed it a micro/iron mix Tetra Plantamin, alternating with a similar local product at a better price point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The glowing tips are there even 24 hours after adding. I'll observe them for a week, if I see any signs of deterioration I'll get Seachem flourish and flourish excel... cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One week update:
Three days ago I added Flourish at the minimum recommended dosage, about 12 drops. Its was 14 bucks for a 100ml bottle which would last me a couple of years, so thought why not give it a try. Although the plants still look the same as the day I bought them.
Java and xmas moss still have bright green tips and no browning has occurred. The only difference really is they seem to be more fluffed up and upright.
The ferns and hair grass look the same as well. The rotala wallichi, i forgot to mention it initially, planted in a shot glass with fine gravel like the hair grass is showing new growth too and tends to point towards the light source, foward when the light is off and upward when on.

I'll dose the flourish every week after wc. If I see any signs of algae, I'll cut the dose in half.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One month update!!!

Ph: 7.0 and kh 4.0 maintained with Seachem Neutral Regulator, a phosphate based buffer.
gh 3.0 ppm (same as tap water).
Temperature is steady at 26°C.
Ammonia & Nitrites are at 0ppm.
Nitrates are being kept between 5~10ppm.
Light on for 8 hours (1:30 to 9:30pm).
Seachem Flourish 6 drops twice a week.
Fish are fed twice a day.
25% wc once a fortnight.

Status of the plants:
- Both broad and narrow leaf java ferns are showing new growth and old leaves are holding well too. The new growth is light green and the veins are darker. The tips also look translucent on them.
- Hairgrass is hardly showing any growth at all and some shoots are turning brown.
- Java moss and flame moss are looking good with bright tips. Xmass moss looks fuzzy and washed out, no growth.
New additions 10 days ago....
- Amazon sword doing ok, showing new growth. The leaves do seem a bit translucent in places.
- Frogbit sheded all its roots initially but now looking healthier and shooting runners too. Although it stays light green and doesn't hold old leaves for very long, they turn yellow at edges and eventually decay fully in a matter of days.
- A small stem of pothos with two leaves partially submerged.

In the last two weeks I've been seeing this rusty sort of film showing up in patches on the leaves, gravel and the glass. It seems to be increasing at a steady pace. Adding frogbit and scrubbing it off before a 25% wc hasn't seem to help that much. Any suggestions on how to combat this nuisance and help the plants thrive better would be very helpful.... cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the last two weeks I've been seeing this rusty sort of film showing up in patches on the leaves, gravel and the glass. It seems to be increasing at a steady pace. Adding frogbit and scrubbing it off before a 25% wc hasn't seem to help that much. Any suggestions on how to combat this nuisance and help the plants thrive better would be very helpful.... cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.