The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and read and read.. Still just unsure of what I really need. Currently I am dosing Flourish+Seachem Trace+Potass+Nitrogen.
And guys this really adds up $ and I want to make the invenstment into a dry fert routine. However I am not sure WHICH?
EI
PMMD
Direct

I want to be able to mix a weeks worth of dosing, so that in the mornings all I have to do is Dose. I now have a python so weekly WC arent an issue any longer.

I just want someone to say GET this...do this... and leave me out of the guess work

Setup:
75 Gal dirted
108w T5ho
Pressurized co2

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have read and read and read.. Still just unsure of what I really need. Currently I am dosing Flourish+Seachem Trace+Potass+Nitrogen.
And guys this really adds up $ and I want to make the invenstment into a dry fert routine. However I am not sure WHICH?
EI
PMMD
Direct

I want to be able to mix a weeks worth of dosing, so that in the mornings all I have to do is Dose. I now have a python so weekly WC arent an issue any longer.

I just want someone to say GET this...do this... and leave me out of the guess work

Setup:
75 Gal dirted
108w T5ho
Pressurized co2
Do EI dosing, mix the macros in one bottle and the micros in another. Put in 3 doses in each bottle and mix in the amount of ro water you want to use. You can then dose from the bottles every other day as EI states or each day using half the dose.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You can do EI dosing using a cheap 7 day pill minder. Premesure each day's dry fert dose once a week and then each day pop the top in the morning and dump in the tank. Macros and micros every other day on schedule. You'll know if you've missed a day ;)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ferts and What Kind

Good morning Jason...

Maybe I can cut through the "fluff" for you. There are two kinds of nutrients the plants need: Macro and micro. The macro like calcium, sulfates, potassium, etc. are easy. Those are provided by doing large and frequent water changes and feeding your fish a varied diet, so they can contribute the rest of the macros.

The micros, like iron, manganese, zinc, etc. are a little trickier, because those come from a commercial source and a lot of the ferts on the market are average at best. There are some very good ones too, both dry and liquid. I use liquids, because they're easy to dose and very inexpensive.

You can research the micros on line and see what's available.

If you need any specifics, just PM me any time.

B

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are some very good ones too, both dry and liquid. I use liquids, because they're easy to dose and very inexpensive.

So you're saying Liquid Micros are cheaper in Liquid form? So what are some of the good one? Seachem?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
More on Ferts

Hello again Jason...

Just saying liquid micro ferts can be very inexpensive. I don't like the word "cheap" very well. Cheap to me means worthless.

Anyway, I dose a couple of different kinds of liquids, because like everything that's living, it grows best with a varied diet.

The hydroponics stores sell excellent liquids at very good prices. I have large, well planted tanks and CO2 is out of the question, so I need an easy way to fertilize my plants.

I use "Earth Juice" liquids at about $13.00 a quart, this stuff is very concentrated and a bottle lasts well over a year and I dose six tanks a couple of times a week. This fert is organic, so I don't have to worry about water condition problems.

Plant care is really pretty simple if you can wade through all the "chemistry class" stuff.

B

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The macro like calcium, sulfates, potassium, etc. are easy.
Incorrect. The macros are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.

Those are provided by doing large and frequent water changes and feeding your fish a varied diet, so they can contribute the rest of the macros.
In your low-tech, non-CO2, and presumably low-light tanks this is possible. However, Jason clearly stated he has a high-tech, CO2, high-light tank.

You are giving inappropriate advice based solely on your personal tank style, rather than advice relevant to the tank style being discussed.

I use "Earth Juice" liquids at about $13.00 a quart, this stuff is very concentrated and a bottle lasts well over a year and I dose six tanks a couple of times a week. This fert is organic, so I don't have to worry about water condition problems.
Earth Juice's basic "Grow" formula contains: Oat bran, sea kelp, bat guano, steamed bone meal, natural potash, blood meal and feather meal.

This is NOT a suitable fertilizer for any tank containing livestock! In fact, it's not a proper aquatic fertilizer at all...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
^^ +1

You can't really beat the price and ease of dry ferts using the EI method.

The only hassle is the weekly water changes. With a good Python setup, even that's fairly easy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
CSM+B
KNO3
KH2PO4

will cover micro and macros. follow EI and just dry dose into the tank.
+1

If your water is soft - below 3dGH/KH - you will need GH Booster.

If your plants are exceptionally iron-hungry, you may wish to add optional iron supplements.

If there's an easier method than dry dosing, I have no idea what it could be. Just try adding it where the fish aren't.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good morning Jason...

Maybe I can cut through the "fluff" for you. There are two kinds of nutrients the plants need: Macro and micro. The macro like calcium, sulfates, potassium, etc. are easy. Those are provided by doing large and frequent water changes and feeding your fish a varied diet, so they can contribute the rest of the macros.

The micros, like iron, manganese, zinc, etc. are a little trickier, because those come from a commercial source and a lot of the ferts on the market are average at best. There are some very good ones too, both dry and liquid. I use liquids, because they're easy to dose and very inexpensive.

If you need any specifics, just PM me any time.

B
WOW:icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Macro Fert List

Incorrect. The macros are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.

In your low-tech, non-CO2, and presumably low-light tanks this is possible. However, Jason clearly stated he has a high-tech, CO2, high-light tank.

You are giving inappropriate advice based solely on your personal tank style, rather than advice relevant to the tank style being discussed.

Earth Juice's basic "Grow" formula contains: Oat bran, sea kelp, bat guano, steamed bone meal, natural potash, blood meal and feather meal.

This is NOT a suitable fertilizer for any tank containing livestock! In fact, it's not a proper aquatic fertilizer at all...
Interesting. My list of macro nutrients is calcium, sulfates, phosphates, potassium, chloride, sodium, nitrogen, and magnesium.

I've used the Earth Juice brand of liquids for quite a while and my planted tanks have never looked better. Though not marketed for aquatic plants, the strictly organic ingredients are excellent for them. Attached are some pics of my planted tanks.

B

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of all the good advice posted, why did you only respond to the single bad post?

Do exactly what Nonconductive and Audioaficionado said.

Sorry Cobra it was only because it caught my eye when he mentioned cheap liquids.

I know Non knows what he's talking about because I have seen his setup.

Dry is the route I will end up going, it's a little out of pocket up FRONT but I know it last a LONG TIME.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CSM+B
KNO3
KH2PO4

will cover micro and macros. follow EI and just dry dose into the tank.

So non ??? CSM+B Plantex or just CSM+B? Honestly Whats the difference?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Judging by the pictures, it's obviously working for you.

I'll agree to disagree with the macro list for now, because the real question is whether your advice is helpful to Jason.

The organic ingredients in Earth Juice need time to break down, in order to supply plants with nutrients in a usable form. That can be an advantage in terrestrial gardening or low-tech tanks. It supplies nutrients in a natural, slow, and controlled manner. In such conditions, Mother Nature also has her ways of balancing out small problems over time.

However, in Jason's high-light CO2 tank, the plants will be growing very quickly, with appetites to match. Mother Nature is wise, but slow; and everything is moving so quickly that she has little time to make corrections. Organic fertilizers won't break down quickly enough to supply the plants' needs. You might be able to compensate by adding much more, and it would be an interesting experiment for a plant-only tank. But such an environment, with an abundance of added animal waste (bat guano) and other decomposing organics, would not be healthy for fish.

Jason is already confused by the large amount of info out there. This is not the time for experiments, or advice on unusual fertilization methods; no matter how successful. That will only add to his confusion.

The simplest, most common, and most repeatable fertilization method for Jason's tank style is EI.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.