The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice about leaving your planted tank for 10 days while you are away ? Is the only option to have someone come in and dose or are there any other options ? Im not really interested in investing in an auto doser. Too much money...

Thoughts ?

James

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
A few days before you leave, stop dosing, half the lighting, shut down the CO2. Basically, convert it to a low light plant. Increase feeding for your fish.

When you leave...no dosing, lighting 5-6 hours a day on a timer, no CO2, no feeding.

·
Registered
941 Posts
*you're question kinda threw me off a bit because you mentioned dosing but not feeding.
--------------
i've read that people have went on 2 week vacations w/o feeding.

me: when i go on vacation, i use a food dispenser.
i picked up the walmart brand one. it isn't great but it does the job okay while i'm away. i would never use it for everyday purposes but gets the job done temporarily. you sort of have control over how much food gets dispensed with the walmart one, but not great control (which is why its so cheap).

cheap ones should be found for about $15 locally.

·
Registered
663 Posts
10 days is kind of long. I have a fishfeeder made by Rainbow (Lifegard Automatic feeder) that allows you to feed a specific amount and timed for from one to four times a day. Some of the cheaper ones just turn and spill out some food but you don't have a lot of control how much comes out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
10 days? At one point, I had to leave my fish unattended for close to 3 weeks. No problem, all were alive when I came back.

10 days is nothing. Check for a recent thread by fishymatty...we answered the same question in his thread.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just because they're alive doesn't say it's not a stressor on the fish. I can easily provide food for them, I'm not going to take a chance that they will have to suffer. I go away for 3-5 days without worrying about it but 10 days is a lot.

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
Your fish would be fine.....they don't normally eat in the wild everyday. They have a ton of fat that they can live off of for quite some time! Plus, without the lights on for as long, they aren't going to be very active anyhow, and won't need to be fed.

If it bothers you, you can put a feeding block or two in there while your away. No problems! Otherwise, follow Epicfish's advice for everything else.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Granted, they don't eat in the wild everyday but allowing something to go 3 weeks without eating? Somewhere during that period of time, it just becomes cruel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I think i will do the low light period thing and dose some flourish before i leave and turn off the CO2. I will also put some of those 7 day feeders in there. I know they are messy but im not too keen on leaving the fish (and dwarf frogs) unfed for 10 days.

James

·
Registered
558 Posts
Granted, they don't eat in the wild everyday but allowing something to go 3 weeks without eating? Somewhere during that period of time, it just becomes cruel.
Many mouth brooders hold eggs and fry in their mouth for 18-23 days without eating. Some hold longer, 28-30 days. Some fish go months without eating during dry seasons, winter, and other times. Also a fish will find something to eat in a tank when it gets hungry.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Many mouth brooders hold eggs and fry in their mouth for 18-23 days without eating. Some hold longer, 28-30 days. Some fish go months without eating during dry seasons, winter, and other times. Also a fish will find something to eat in a tank when it gets hungry.
Yes. Fish metabolisms are very different from mammalian metabolisms.

But really the thread was about dosing ferts, not feeding, and quite understandably. I, for instance, could easily get someone to come to my house and feed my fish a few times a week, but I couldn't get (much less trust!!) anyone to come everyday and add 1/16tsb KNO3 to this tank, 1/4tsp to this tank, plus Flourish, plus maintaining DIY CO2, etc.

Very useful thread.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Yes. Fish metabolisms are very different from mammalian metabolisms.

But really the thread was about dosing ferts, not feeding, and quite understandably. I, for instance, could easily get someone to come to my house and feed my fish a few times a week, but I couldn't get (much less trust!!) anyone to come everyday and add 1/16tsb KNO3 to this tank, 1/4tsp to this tank, plus Flourish, plus maintaining DIY CO2, etc.

Very useful thread.
If you were adamant about dosing, you could add the ferts for each day into those 7-day pill counters. Fill up the DIY CO2 before you leave, and you're set. The only thing you're missing is the Flourish. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.