The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a pretty good handle on fertilizing with my high tech 50g, but I don't really use anything other than a splash of Excel in my 5g once or twice/week (thinking I should probably be dosing every-other day, as I do have some algae growth).

I'm in the process of setting up a low tech 20L for guppies, tetras, and my ADF (and perhaps will get him/her a friend or two, as they're apparently social and I think he/she's a little lonely). I'm thinking this tank will be deserving of more legitimate fertilization. Substrate will be a mix of Fluorite and quartz gravel. Plants will be something on the order of Anubias, Java Moss, Java Fern, Crypts. Would root tabs + Excel be sufficient?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
My opinion on root tabs is that they can cause a lot more problems than they solve. The original idea behind root tabs was to use one under each of the plants that you feel needs more fertilizing than it gets from the water. I prefer dosing just the water. With low light you don't need much fertilizing, since the slow plant growth can be supported with mostly what the fish food, fish poop, etc. provide. My tank now has low medium light, and this thread describes how I decided how to fertilize: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...fertilizing-65-gal-low-medium-light-tank.html

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know that management of a 20 gallon low tech shouldn't be vastly different from that of a 5g. I was guessing that would be the case, but it wouldn't be the first time I've assumed something and been off-base.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.