The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just revently started planting my 29g tank. i just put in a new substrate, the Eco Complete Planted Tank substrate. it looks promising and i have heard good things. i have planted Amazon Sword (3), and Water Sprite (3). i was just wondering if any fertilizer is necissary to start at this point. its only been about 2 weeks since i planted the tank. what do you think?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello rk923, I'm a noob here as well... just started planting bout 3-4 weeks now. and Ed is right, bout Flourish, it works good. I'm using fine gravel for my tank (since I already had it setup for years), so I'm using the undergravel tabs as well as Liquid Flourish. and I already see the difference in a week! I'd recommend just da liquid one for your's since u already got good substrate... good luck. :thumbsup:

Seachem "Flourish Tabs" (Gravel Bed Supplement for Planted Aquarium)
Seachem "Flourish" (Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You'll also need to add some Excel once in awhile for C02 but that should be good enough for your first tank. I'd really consider buying allot more plants for a 29 than six, it's just not enough you'll need about 10x more than that to get the tank up and going quickly and without lots of algae.

- Brad

·
Registered
199 Posts
You'll also need to add some Excel once in awhile for C02 but that should be good enough for your first tank. I'd really consider buying allot more plants for a 29 than six, it's just not enough you'll need about 10x more than that to get the tank up and going quickly and without lots of algae.

- Brad
Hello Brad, is that sub for CO2 injection?!?! does it actually adds CO2 to ur tank? and says recommended for daily use, or every other day... wow, that'll get bit pricey!!! :icon_roll

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yes Excel is an alternative to C02 injection, not as good but it works well. If your going low light I wouldn't dose it more than once a week after your water change since your plants won't be absorbing it as fast as they would if you had high light.

And yes it does get expensive in the long haul to use Excel tho it's cheap to start while a good C02 rig will cost more at first ($200-$300'ish) but becomes cheaper in the long haul after you get the rig and lights.

- Brad

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes Excel is an alternative to C02 injection, not as good but it works well.
If your going low light I wouldn't does it more than once a week after your water change ...

- Brad
kewl... I got a 55 gallon w/ 3 40w T-12 (had 4, took one off since was recommended @ earlier post) total of 120 watts (cheap T12 Daylight). think dosing Excel 1x a week be good?? :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Kewl... thnx Brad. guess I'll give it a try till I get a CO2 setup for mine... and experiment w/ smaller dose 1st (may be 2x a week) see how that turns out....

rk923, good luck w/ ur's man... post some pics when u get'em up n runnin...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I recall that Excel only lasts for a day or so in an aquarium before it is gone - some chemical reaction I suppose. So, to be effective I think you need to dose at least every other day. You can get it pretty cheap from Big Als and Drs Foster & Smith, they seem to alternate having a sale on one gallon jugs of it. Just be aware that Excel is not a harmless substance. Don't overdose it in the tank - it can harm some plants, and can be hard on your health if you overdo it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replys to my request for help! i do plan on getting alot more plants for the tank. i want to get the Easy Life habitat from AZ Gardens. what do you guys think about these plants that come with this habitat?
•2 Anacharis
•4 Rotala indica
•3 Blood Stargrass
•6 Japanese Fans
•3 Dwarf Lily Plants
•15 Dwarf Onions
•2 Ambulia
•15 Tall Sagittaria subulata
•2 medium red-spot Ozelot swords
•15 Crypt Walkeri
•4 Java Ferns
•Fertilizer

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Two T5HO lights on a 29 gallon tank is high light intensity, requiring good CO2, good fertilizing, good tank maintenance, good water cleanliness, etc. to avoid many algae problems. Using that much light does not give you an "Easy Life" when it comes to planted tank maintenance. Using just one of those bulbs would fit the "Easy Life" description much better. Also, you don't need 12 hours of light. If you limit the light to 8 hours a day you will have fewer algae problems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
awsome thanks for the info. the Excel sounds like the place to go to get a start at least. i will try it and let you know how it works out. also i reduced my lights to 8hrs instead of 12.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 55 with 1.5 wpg. I dose 7ml daily of Excel and my plant grow fast.
I recall that Excel only lasts for a day or so in an aquarium before it is gone - some chemical reaction I suppose. So, to be effective I think you need to dose at least every other day....
Thnx Guys... will dose every other day for now, once they start growing good, then slow down a bit. by then, should have CO2 setup up n runnin. really appreciate ya'll sharin ya'lls knowledge... :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.