The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
476 Posts
I use easy green liquid in mine.

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
Moved your fertilizer question to the Fertilizer section.

Those "shrimp-safe" products are really just scamming gullible buyers. Pretty much every fert available in the hobby is safe for shrimp. Just don't overdo it. Anything will be a problem if you overdo it, however. This is ignoring, of course, the reality that buying liquid ferts is a massive waste of money when dry ferts are available elsewhere at a fraction of the cost.

Ferts may not be necessary, @FishyFishyFishyPlantPlant. Depends upon what's going on with your tank, how much you feed, makeup of your water, etc. But any basic fertilizer will do unless you know your plants need a specific amount of something.

I've got one shrimp tank filled with Buces (not smuggled via BucePlant but all tissue-cultured) that doesn't need any additional fertilizer. Another gets a squirt of a basic liquid fert I mixed up myself (just a common recipe available online at most fert calculators) every week after water change - not much, just a really small amount.

60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moved your fertilizer question to the Fertilizer section.

Those "shrimp-safe" products are really just scamming gullible buyers. Pretty much every fert available in the hobby is safe for shrimp. Just don't overdo it. Anything will be a problem if you overdo it, however. This is ignoring, of course, the reality that buying liquid ferts is a massive waste of money when dry ferts are available elsewhere at a fraction of the cost.

Ferts may not be necessary, @FishyFishyFishyPlantPlant. Depends upon what's going on with your tank, how much you feed, makeup of your water, etc. But any basic fertilizer will do unless you know your plants need a specific amount of something.

I've got one shrimp tank filled with Buces (not smuggled via BucePlant but all tissue-cultured) that doesn't need any additional fertilizer. Another gets a squirt of a basic liquid fert I mixed up myself (just a common recipe available online at most fert calculators) every week after water change - not much, just a really small amount.
Thanks, that makes sense. A lot of aquariums with fertilizers have thriving shrimp colonies. Is BucePlant a bad place to get plants from?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts