The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started dosing my tank with Evolution Aqua fertilizer. Tank is 200L and planted. Could it be that this fertilizer is upping my nitrite and nitrate? Has anyone had this happen to them or is it a coincidence and has nothing to do with the fertilizer?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If the fertilizer contains nitrate, then it would add to your nitrate levels.

It does not contain nitrates, no fertilizer should.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thanks - Anyone had this with Evolution Aqua?
Regardless of the fertilizer brand, if it contains nitrates it will add to the nitrate level in the tank. \

If the fertilizer contains ammonia / ammonium, this will add nitrite if the tank is not cycled.

I was looking through some of your other threads, and it looks like the tank isn't quite cycled - this the main cause of nitrites you are experiencing - it is not from the fertilizer.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Regardless of the fertilizer brand, if it contains nitrates it will add to the nitrate level in the tank. \

If the fertilizer contains ammonia / ammonium, this will add nitrite if the tank is not cycled.

I was looking through some of your other threads, and it looks like the tank isn't quite cycled - this the main cause of nitrites you are experiencing - it is not from the fertilizer.
And that's good news for you @Bent17. It means you didn't lose all your bacteria.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did another test and its the same pre water change this morning.. would have thought it would change a bit.. found my first neocaridina dead. Hopfully its not one of many :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts