The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just set up a new tank with plants and fluval stratum. I purchased seachem flourish but it's my understanding that I need to add macro nutrients with it as it doesn't cover everything. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could combine with the seachem that would give my plants everything they need?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I just set up a new tank with plants and fluval stratum. I purchased seachem flourish but it's my understanding that I need to add macro nutrients with it as it doesn't cover everything. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could combine with the seachem that would give my plants everything they need?
I use APT ferts. I've had great results with them. I'm going to dry ferts next. Much more economical, and you can customize the blend you want.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I suppose it matters how much light you are using. For a low light tank flourish comp will be fine.

For CO2 higher light you will need to dose macros.
I make my csm+b micro mix similar to flourish comp. It's much cheaper and I get the results I'm after.
Some people dose additional iron as well. I haven't really saw a difference from adding more in my tank vs not. There is iron in the micro mix as well.
Post some more specs on your specific setup

·
Registered
60 Posts
I keep Seachem Nitrogen, Seachem Phosphorous, and Seachem Potassium on hand to cover the basic NPK macronutrients (also have Seachem Iron). I also keep on hand Seachem Flourish and Seachem Advance. I no longer use Seachem Excel. I add ferts based upon results from API test kits for Nitrates and Phosphate, Seachem test kit for Iron and Salifert test kit for Potassium twice per week in my 30 gallon planted tank. As as my supply of liquid Seachem ferts dwindle, I plan to migrate to mixing my own NilocG fertilizers to save $$ going forward. I already purchased and have on hand NilocG's 500 ml Dosing bottle, PPS Pro Aquarium Plant Fertilizer Package and Fert Scoop Dosing Spoons. In combination with CO2 injection, my planted tank has been doing well for over 1 year. The plants have been growing rapidly.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
For macros you need KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4.

If you need to add dGH then CaSO4 and MgSO4.

Buy them dry and you will save loads of money over time.

If you don't know much about dry ferts, then study up on them. Try to start thinking in terms of ppm dosing. Learn to use the Rotalabutterfly or Zorfox calculator. They will be your friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts