The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started dosing pps pro last week. All of my plants took off. I am using co2 and the lights are set at 8 hrs after a NBA outbreak that wiped out my tank. I have 2 t5HO. And a 60g tank. Should I cut back on the fertilizers or change up the mixture this is what I'm getting on my plants

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am no expert but as I started dosing ferts and adding co2 I noticed the algae in my tank disappear. I am using dry ferts dosing EI method. I am using yeast and sugar mix to produce co2. As plant mass increases then it should out compete algae for nutrients.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would leave dosing as is if new growth is good, and pluck off the lower leaves that exhibit that which was in the photo.
If you begin losing lower leaves on several species,then this might lead me to believe the CO2 is not being distributed to lower region long enough, and plant's are sacrificing the lower leaves for the sake of newer leaves higher on the plant's ,and higher in the water where CO2 is greater. (just my opinion).
Would try and aim power head or spray bar in such a way as to force the CO2 down lower for longer than is currently happening.
The gas want's to rise up and out of the tank's nearly as fast as it's injected if no measures to prevent it are taking place.(need good flow to all area's)
Starting CO2 injection and hour to three hour's before light's on would be another option I might consider.
Would leave light's and dosing as is for now, and focus on good CO2 management.
Plant's do not need as much light as we sometimes presume, and if nutrient's are consistently applied at suitable % then only leaves CO2 to get right.

·
Registered
242 Posts
New growth looks fine. Mostly lower leaves on plants developing this. Polygonum and ludwigia look the worst.
I have seen this on ludwigia when growth stalls. Double T5s are pretty strong and could easily have lead to macros depletion. You did not say how much ferts you were using, but you can try to add nitrate to bring to 10 ppm atleast first and observe another two days.

If you have not already done so, invest in a drop checker for CO2 and a nitrate/phosphate test kit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using 5ml macros and Micro alternating days. I have a drop checker that is pushing yellow . I'm transplanting everything to a new tank today with an actual substrate other than gravel so I guess I will see what happens then

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the same spotting on my ludwigia, I increased phosphates and nitro, no more spotting.

New growth always looked great, it was the established leaves that were taking the hit. My guess was there was not enough nutrients to sustain the lower leaves, just enough for the new growth to sustain itself.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Pps pro from Green Leaf Aquariums
Green Leaf Aquariums

Our PPS-Pro Fertilizer Pack ? Just Mix & Dose ? Planted Tank Blog

How to dose the mixture…

Bottle #1 Macros: daily dose of 1 mL per every 10 gallons or 40 litres of aquarium water. Dose daily, prior to your aquarium lights turning on.

Bottle #2 Micros: daily dose of 0.1 mL or 2 drops per 10 gallons or 40 litres of aquarium water. Dose daily, prior to your aquarium lights turning on. (updated 4/11/2016, previous dosing recommendation was 1 mL per 10 gallons)

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Excellent point Edward.
Thread's often describe dosing as per PPS, PPS-PRO,and or EI method. But too often sometimes, the method is a variation rather than as per direction's.
Or maybe they purchase dry fertz for a particular method, and call their routine of dosing EI or PPS .
Need to adopt a method of dosing, whatever method that might be,and follow it.
Folk's can only respond to what is posted as your/my dosing scheme, which help's those who can help,,,identify or eliminate possible contributer's to a problem. (we hope).
Sure, some fertilizer's can be introduced into the glass box of water by other mean's than dosing fertilizer's(can adjust/modify) dosing, but better to follow a consistent dosing scheme than to assume that everyone or every tank can achieve same/same for their application. IMHO
At least until you have a few month's of sustained algae free growth. to make comparison's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.