Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. been dosing for a couple of weeks using EI method for my 75 gal
Im getting Phosphate readings at the end of the week around 10ppm

Nitrates are around 5-10ppm

No Ammo or Nitrites

I do water changes on Sundays..

What is acceptable? Is that too high for Phosphate?

currently Macro dosing:
KNO3 3x per week
KH2PO4 3x per week
K2SO4 3x per week

Trace 3x per week

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It takes a lot more than 10 ppm of phosphates to cause significant problems. It is also very possible that your phosphate test kit isn't accurate enough for you to know that you really have 10 ppm instead of 5 or 20 ppm. If you dose your fertilizers per the EI charts and do 50% weekly water changes you won't have enough of any of the fertilizers in the water to do any harm. Relying on testing to adjust your dosing isn't likely to work very well, but you can experiment by reducing the dosage of one of the fertilizers and carefully observing the plants for a week or so to see if there is any deterioration in the health or growth rate of the plants. If there isn't, you can safely assume that your lower dosage is ok. And, you can do this repeatedly until you do see a deterioration, then raise the dosage back to the last amount where you didn't see deterioration. Then do another of the fertilizers until you finally have all of them at the minimum allowable dosage. But, if your plant mass increases much you will want to increase the dosages again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone here told me (I thought) that 10ppm was too high so I was wondering if I should cut something back.

I am getting new growth so Im not thinking I have a problem just yet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts