The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right I'd like to get your opinions about dosing ferts and excel. Here's my setup

Standard 55g. USA sat+ 48" light.
Black sand substrate
4 albino Cory's
2 spotted cory
2 julli cory
6 zebra danio
6 odessa barb
7 neon tetra
4 sunburst plat ties
4 amino shrimp

I'll say I have a medium to low planted tank. I'm just starting out so I'm sure over time I'll have more plants. Mostly root feeders but have one Anubis and one java fern on driftwood. Will eventually get some moss.

Currently I dose excel and iron daily and flourish comp every two or three days. Also use root tabs.

My question is with this amount of livestock should I still consider ei or pps pro? Should I be concerned about not enough co2 with just a capful of excel daily?

Basically I want low tech plant growth to be decent but do not want to go over or under board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
Imo you are adding too many ferts for a non co2 tank. Especially the iron in the water column. If you have root feeders, you shouldn't really need to dose the column too much, root tabs should be plenty with an occasional comp dose after water changes. That's just my opinion and I run only low tech, so I'm sure some of the other members may be able to give more insight, but from experience, I would say you're almost asking for an algae bloom of some kind.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been wondering about the algae issue popping up eventually. Since I've changed out my substrate and cleaned my tank good I haven't had any algae Plus now that I have the sat+ light I'm not using my timer because I like going thru my phases and playing with the light

How will this much talked about algae bloom occur? Will I just wake up one morning to a green tank or will it slowly manifest itself?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've been wondering about the algae issue popping up eventually. Since I've changed out my substrate and cleaned my tank good I haven't had any algae Plus now that I have the sat+ light I'm not using my timer because I like going thru my phases and playing with the light

How will this much talked about algae bloom occur? Will I just wake up one morning to a green tank or will it slowly manifest itself?

It's usually a slow process, and depends on the types of algae. Alot of times, with too much iron, it will be a brown or red algae. Most of the time in the form of beard algae. I would also suggest a photo period of no more than 8 hours a day. This is just my experience and by no means the written law. And everyone's setup differs. If things are working the way they are, you may not need to change, but my money is on something offsetting eventually.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I figure it'll bite me in the butt sooner or later but I spend a lot of time looking at my tank so I should hopefully see it coming.

Anyone else with opinions on my original question?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello everyone,new member here.
i agree with what has been posted already.if you are trying to achieve low tech growth i.e. slow growth......then there is no need for high dosing of ferts.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You have very low light. http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-freshwater-led-plus/ contains information about the PAR you get from that light.

Your tank is about 21 inches high, so, with 2 inches of substrate, the light will be about 19-21 inches above the substrate. From that chart you probably have about 25 PAR light intensity.

With that low light your plants can't grow fast enough to need much fertilizing. I suggest that you continue dosing Excel daily, and dose Flourish comprehensive, about once a week, but nothing else.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can someone provide me a link to what Excel and Flourish are? reading this I think they are types of fertilizers? which I know nothing about, but I guess I need to learn.

I am a totally newbie and just now setting up my first tank and need to learn alot!

my "substrate" is pebble gravel from a school yard, and I have one 6500K CFL and one 5500K CFL bulbs and a tank water heater that keeps the water between 75 and 78

next I thought I would get an aquaclear filter and maybe a fish or two for "fish-poop" fertilizer

thanks for whatever help you are able to provide!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Excel (or similar products like metricide ) supply carbon for your plants to aid in faster growth. It is not as effective as pressurized co2 but it does offer some of the benefit. It also inhibits some types if algae so many use it for that benefit.

Flourish is a fertilizer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have very low light. http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-freshwater-led-plus/ contains information about the PAR you get from that light.

Your tank is about 21 inches high, so, with 2 inches of substrate, the light will be about 19-21 inches above the substrate. From that chart you probably have about 25 PAR light intensity.

With that low light your plants can't grow fast enough to need much fertilizing. I suggest that you continue dosing Excel daily, and dose Flourish comprehensive, about once a week, but nothing else.

Based on what I read about ei dosing and such is the worst case scenario of dosing too much higher nitrates? I'll be doing 30-50% pwc weekly regardless so no harm from over dosing? Besides maybe an algae outbreak?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
As long as you do the 50% water changes once a week there should be no harm in doing EI dosing. But, there is also no benefit to doing so, since the plants will be growing so slowly that they can't use the extra nutrients anyway. When you replace half of the water every week the maximum build up of any of the fertilizers is twice the amount of each weeks total dosage. So, if you dose enough to get 20 ppm of nitrate every week, the 50% water change once a week limits the maximum amount of nitrate in the water to 40 ppm.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should wisteria look like this:

Everything being said here makes perfect sense to me and thank you very much for the help.

I guess I'm just trying a little to hard and spending too much time staring at my tank. I've noticed that it seems as though some of my plants are doing great and others have sorta stalled. My wisteria and hygro started taking off like crazy when I first changed my substrate and now kinda of stopped. The hygro even might be getting some holes in it. My micro chain sword didn't do anything for a while and now I have to push down runner sprouts every couple of days. Java fern is starting to get babies on it. Sword plant put up 5 leaves in one week. Also have some other plant that I can't identify that has just sort of done nothing for weeks.

If this is slow growth then I am absolutely glad I don't have fast growth for some of the plants. Lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just tested my water and my nitrates were +-5ppm. Could this be a cause of some of my plants growth slowing? My last water change was Friday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts