The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use Flourish as an all-purpose fert or do I need other specific minerals that flourish doesn't have...
basically, you could name me all of the minerals and elements that I NEED and SHOULD have and I can do the rest by reading the contents of everything that Seachem provides... Thanks!! :icon_smil

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Basically plants need nitrogen (nitrates), phosphorus (phosphates), potassium (half of potassium nitrate, for example), carbon (CO2 generally), and traces, which Flourish is. How much of any of those depends on the tank size and lighting intensity, as well as the plant load.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm starting to feel like a fert pusher!
Try Yamato green before you try anything else. I used to use Flourish, and it doesn't compare to this stuff! It has EVERYTHING in it! unless you need MORE of something such as Iron for some reason - this is it! You can also get Yamto Greek K (Potassium), and Yamato green N (Nitrogen rich) If you want to pumop up the iron, get some Yamato Fe as well - but you'll only used that for a few weeks if yur plants have been iron defficient.
It's the best stuff ever! http://www.yamatogreen.com
Also-if you have a 40 gallon or bigger tank, get the large size. It's twice the amount for $4.00 more - well worth it.
Dose 1 tsp per 10-20 gallons twice a week and you'll be good as gold!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Can I use Flourish as an all-purpose fert or do I need other specific minerals that flourish doesn't have...
basically, you could name me all of the minerals and elements that I NEED and SHOULD have and I can do the rest by reading the contents of everything that Seachem provides... Thanks!! :icon_smil
Without really going deep into fert discussions, check out this thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/42993-liquid-fertlizer.html

You're still probably going to have to dose Nitrates, Phosphates, and Potassium. (more than likely just Potassium and a little bit of nitrates).

Rex Grigg has some good guides you should read up on too at www.rexgrigg.com

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
29 gallon, 1x65 watt PC and 36 watt T5, Pressurized CO2 injection, works...

Thanks for all of the help guys!!

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Flourish supplies micro nutrients, with the light and CO2 you have your plants will need macros as well -- mainly Nitrates, Phosphates and Potassium.

The most economical way is to get those in dry form (powders). Check the water parameters forum for various discussions on how much to dose and where to source fertilizers.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would suggest reading Rex's Guide on Ferts. Rexgrigg.com. Very useful site.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, you solved my problem!!1 :hihi: :icon_lol: :biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.