The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandma gave me a ferrero roche chochalate container that looks nice, so i figured- why not put it to good use?

I was gonna make either a wabi kusa or a mini vivarium.
Instead, i made an emmersed setup. It's a test, if everything grows nicely, i'll step it up to a bigger thing, and make this a WK or viv.

Light- 7w Cp from red sea.
substrate- soil under sand.
ferts- flourish excel mix including- FL. Excel, redsea floravit, flora FE, and flora trace.
plants- Crypt. wentii bronze, sunset hygro, Hc, Dwarf hairgrass, a rooted Anubias nana petite leaf, java moss, a few patches of tiny moss found in my yard.

We'll see how she goes in the next two months, that's the test period, if everything dies, it's changing, if stuff lives, i'll upgrade.

pics to come in a few minutes, gotta upload them to my computer and Photobucket.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pics

Container

FTS

plants

·
Registered
314 Posts
very interesting. I"m doing something like that. I have a few plastic tupperware type containers in the window. I've got hair grass growing in two of them and it's doing well.

I have taken a rock with moss growing on it, and a petit anubia plantlet and a clump of HC and put it into a tupperware thing, and just a small amount of water, and it's all lving could be growing faster.. Another plastic tub thing is for hairgrass and it looks very much like yours. It's in the window and gets no special attention, but hoping it will grow and fill in nicely in the next few months. keep on posting..

good luck with it

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i had initial worries of temprature and humidity problems, but now, they're gone.
The walls are all fogged up, meaning it didn't lose alot of humidity. and it feels slightly warmer than room temp(~80+)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's not completely sealed, and i open it 2x a day for about 2 minutes.
we'll see how it goes. to tell the truth,i think it probally gets enough air from the lid, it's not really airtight whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oh, then that's fine. Would be REALLY cool to have like a newt in there. Must be too small for one but it would be cool :p. Or some kind of rare dwarf frog lol. I don't know my reptiles/amphibians

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea, if i could find a frog or newt about the size of an ant, i would put it in therre,lol.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah, not enough water, and it would be pretty big still.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts