The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, been itching to get back in to aquascaping and I've been out of it for while so I'm not super up to date on lighting xD. I just picked up a Aquatop HCA-12G (9.5'' tall) and I have a general placement for the tank right now in the image below. I'll most likely have 3'' of substrate on the left side (where the wood is) and slope it down to 1'' on the right. I'm planning on doing a high tech tank, HC carpet on the right hand side and, hopefully, red plants on the left where it's closer to the top.

Any opinions on either light or better alternatives? I'm open to making or getting a lift for stronger lights so I can back it off too.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
What are all the dimensions?
Never mind 35.4 x 8.3 x 9.5 deep
Kessil starting "footprint" is about 14" in diameter..

Stingray II is relatively low profile unless you intend to hang it.

Being shallow you don't really need too much light wattage.
Off hand and considering the form I'd favor something like this;
https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Orbit-Adjustable-Bracket/dp/B01M3SM0UW?ref_=ast_sto_dp
current lists only needing 1 for a 24 or 36" plus or plus pro.
and 24-36" this:
https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Plus-Light/dp/B00QVHJQD8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

This was a quick pick so may be subject to change.. ;)

Point is you really would benefit in a height extension and since the tank is long and narrow "puck style" lights don't work real well..without more than necessary
Like 3 a80's, brackets, plus a 10v control unit if desired.

Also if you want generally even coverage and not like an "island" effect..

hmm.. "validation".. funny.
http://redcherryshrimp.net/reviews/mr-aqua-12-gallon-long-review/

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neat, I'll check out the satellite plus pro. Are there any other mounting methods aside from DIY (cable/pulley system)? The mount seems like it'll cut into the water a bit too much. I couldn't find anything in a cursory search of it :\

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah dang. Oh well, I ended up just getting the mount and light you mentioned xD I figured I can fab up a drawing and 3D print a mount fixture and make a pulley system later on.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Well ip65 waterproofing, 660nm reds,90 degree lensing.

Should be good to go.

Starting point would be about 4" from light face to water line.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you happen to know the differences between v1 vs v2 versions of the satellite plus pro? I got a deal from an amazon warehouse listing but just wondering what I should look out for in case it was returned with the ol' switcheroo.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Do you happen to know the differences between v1 vs v2 versions of the satellite plus pro? I got a deal from an amazon warehouse listing but just wondering what I should look out for in case it was returned with the ol' switcheroo.
Orig sat plus pro never had 660nm reds.
I don't know if it's any different but you should be aware the RGB channels a bit weak in comparison to other brands.
In other words your tone choices are slightly limited.. The 660nm reds will make up for a weaker red in the orig.

also don't think gen 1 was 90 degrees but consider all the above what I remember.
Frankly till shortly before I posted above I did not even know about the 660nm variant.

At one point in time the current and it's sister light ecoxotic was common here.

For older info just search here

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ended up having some profile issues and led's that were sticking to blue with the smaller 24''-36'' one so I decided to get the larger 36''-48'' version for my return instead :LOL: also got some legs to lift it up but it's set up for the most part! I'll need to get a ton more plants but dosing ammonia now for the cycle.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Ended up having some profile issues and led's that were sticking to blue with the smaller 24''-36'' one so I decided to get the larger 36''-48'' version for my return instead :LOL: also got some legs to lift it up but it's set up for the most part! I'll need to get a ton more plants but dosing ammonia now for the cycle.

View attachment 1025083 View attachment 1025084
Looks like a good start .
Curious what you meant by "sticking to blue" though.
Funny how you barely see a light at that angle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a good start .
Curious what you meant by "sticking to blue" though.
Funny how you barely see a light at that angle.
The last 3 or so rgb led's were getting stuck on blue for some reason and I would have to manually switch out then back to the timer profile to get it to change 😓

And yeah! I'm glad I went with the longer one and got acrylic leg stands for it. When I'm sitting down it kinda blends into the picture frame in the back xD The original arm mount definitely has more height to it but it was too obtrusive :\

I ended up buying a ton of monte carlo and a few other stem plants so it'll be fully stocked soon :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.