The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, two months ago I treated my 5 gallon shrimp tank with fenbendazole to overcome a planaria bloom. I knew from reading up other forum posts on this site that fenbendazole is toxic to nerite snails, so I removed them into a separate holding bowl for them to wait in until it was safe for them to be returned into their tank.

It's been two months now, and with a couple of water changes (with some very careful substrate vaccuming) and two carbon filter changes, I'm wondering if it is safe to return them. The algae build up on the walls is making it hard to admire my shrimp. If I want to return my nerites within a few weeks, how much water changing, gravel vacuuming, lighting, carbon changing, etc do I need to be doing?

Thanks in advance!

5 gallon fluval spec
black sand substrate
LED lighting/low strength
several species of low-light plants
fire red cherry shrimp

·
Registered
219 Posts
Although I have grown nerites before, I have not grown them in Fenben. treated tanks. I can say that I have treated tanks using Fenben. and had Sulawesi rabbit snails and had no deaths. Every specie is different but often times families have similar reaction. In fact I was able to discover, remove and kill, flukes that my rabbit snails had under their mantle. I had no knowledge of these parasites until the treatment. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard that the dewormer binds to the substrate, but that carbon and also direct light will denature it.

Not sure on the parameters, would have to do the test today

1 - 5 of 5 Posts