The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got word that my new TT's and OEBT's came from stock that might have some sort of internal parasite. I would like to do a prophylactic course of fenbendazole to hopefully kill off any parasites that might be lurking in (or out of) my new shrimp. I've found information on treating the water column for things like hydras and planaria, but nothing for internal parasites. I've dug through all of my veterinary reference books, but most of them only touch marginally on fish treatment and nothing else. Does anyone have a tried-and-true dosage for treating internal parasites in shrimp?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I'm not sure what would work as many different kinds of parasites, infections, etc all have different treatments and not knowing what it can be, treating is hard. I haven't heard of many tigers having actual internal parasites, but I wouldn't be too happy about buying a bunch that came from that.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
in my quarantine thread are links to Flu Dosage which is a water column treatment dealing with internals. Doc Harrison is the source I use (in the thread)

HTH

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fenbendazole kills planaria and hdydra. But I don't think they are internal parasite?
It's used extensively for internal parasites and happens to work on planaria and hydra. I am not sure what the parasite is, as I haven't seen it, but fenbendazole is pretty effective against a wide spectrum of nastiness. Apparently a necropsy of one of the shrimp revealed a worm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts