The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUESTION:
After putting Fenbendazole in my tank, how long till I can put back my 2 Nerite Snails? Is there a required number of water changes?

BACKSTORY:
  • I have green Hydra so I'm using Fenbendazole.
  • I plan on transferring my Nerite Snails before dosing Fenbendazole.
  • I have read that Fenbendazole is safe for most fish and shrimp
  • I understand that there are multiple ways of removing Hydra

FAUNA:
  • Red Cherry Shrimp (including 2 pregnant and a few fry)
  • Norman's Lampeye
  • Nerite Snails (including eggs and babies)
  • Otocinclus

Thanks and I'm looking forward in reading your comment :smile2:

·
Registered
304 Posts
When I have to deal with febendazole, I usually do a water change (25%) after the treatment, and then filter on active carbon for at least 2 weeks before re-introducing my nerites.

If not, the nerites do not last more than 2 days.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I used purigen for a day and placed my nerites back in without any deaths. Did a 50% WC first, then purigen, then snails, in that order.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used purigen for a day and placed my nerites back in without any deaths. Did a 50% WC first, then purigen, then snails, in that order.
Interesting. Purigen darkens as it completes the job, doesn't it? How long before you reintroduce the nerites?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Interesting. Purigen darkens as it completes the job, doesn't it? How long before you reintroduce the nerites?
Immediately as soon as the purigen is pulled out (or kept in). And yes, it does darken as it cleans the tank. It won't go black immediately though. It takes a lot to wear those out, so a day of cleaning the water won't show much sign of discoloration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts