The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and after reading a few articles here I think you may be able to help.

I own one 12G fluval edge which I adore. I had it stocked with 10 guppies, real plants, a small butterfly pleco and a zebra snail. All was well. No algae, healthy fish for months etc....then I bought two new guppies.

One of the guppies died a few days after...the second guppy, if not both, brought callamanus worms into my tank. Now after months of battling them, I've read it was a death sentence from the beginning and euthanized my remaining three guppies. All I have left is one snail, and my pleco.

I have tried fenbendazole in food three times to no avail.

Now that I have only my snail and pleco, I would like to hopefully get rid of the infestation for good. I have so little to lose.

My pleco shows no signs at all of the worms....but I would still like to dose the tank to be sure before getting new fish. I can't find anything about dosing without food. I will be removing the snail before dosing as it will definitely kill him.

Any help?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The one time I had them in my 50 gallon tank, I finally just gave up after losing all of my fish.... Others need to confirm this, but I believe I have read somewhere that they can stay in the soil/gravel for weeks after.

The only thing that worked for me was the rid myself of the gravel, bleach all of my equipment, and basically start the tank from new. I kept plants (soaked them for a few hours in relatively warm/hot water then kept them in buckets until i got my new substrate) and even bought all new media for my canisters.

Most of this was probably overkill, but i was so frustrated with having them, that I was going to do everything I could to make sure they were gone.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
How do you know you still have them in the tank? I have treated all my tanks with fendendazole for planaria about 9 months ago. I used the liquid goat dewormer called safe-guard. 2 ml per 10 gal using the liquid type is enough for planaria and hydra, never had camallanus. I keep plecos in most of my tanks and the normal dose of fendendazole does not affect plecos or shrimp at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may have been overkill, but you definitely can't be too careful with these suckers!

Bump:
How do you know you still have them in the tank? I have treated all my tanks with fendendazole for planaria about 9 months ago. I used the liquid goat dewormer called safe-guard. 2 ml per 10 gal using the liquid type is enough for planaria and hydra, never had camallanus. I keep plecos in most of my tanks and the normal dose of fendendazole does not affect plecos or shrimp at all.
I don't know FOR SURE, is the thing. I only euthanized my remaining three yesterday, because they still had worms....they were even beginning to come out of places other than their anus....even after being treated a few times prior. So even dosing didn't work. I'm using a powdered fenbendazole specifically for fish that mixes with food....I just don't know how to do it without food as I don't have anything but my pleco anymore....I don't want to cut any corners here before I restock my tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts