The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of a male and female picture of bolivian rams? I saw some today but i wanted to get a female and a male but i wasnt sure which one was which. Help me out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here are of pictures of a pair that belong to an aquaintance of mine. Picture 1 is the female in full breeding colors and picture 2 is a male is non breeding colors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know how true it is but I have read that the back of the dorsal? fin is more rounded in the female then the male and that females bellies get reddish when they are ready to breed. I just got a group of six and I seem to see these differances, though mine are different sizes ages. I will be interested to see what anyone else has to say.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so can anyone else describe the exact differences in male and female appearances?

dawn-you said the top fin toward the back part of the fish in the female is more rounded? anything else that is distingushed?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rach, they are easiest to destinguish at breeding time. The female will develope a light pinkish patch on her belly and the male will not. Other than that the most reliable way to sex them is to vent them. The dorsal fin method is not always the most reliable way to sex them. The first 3 spines in the dorsal are probably an easier method. On the male they will be taller than they are on the female giving the female a more gradual slope to the front of the dorsal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts