The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lost four female bettas in the past two weeks. They were all very very full of eggs for months, and then I would find them dead with holes in their bellies. (This is beginning to sound like the movie 'Alien'.)

These bettas were older females, the oldest were approx. 4 years old, and very big. One of them was only about 2 years old.

I originally thought a mistake in fertilizing and spike in nitrates killed/blew them up. But another died the same way yesterday in a tank without ferts.

I am suspicious of their eggs. I think they rotted in their bellies- didn't reabsorb?

Maybe I shouldn't keep male and female bettas in the same room where they can see each other? My females have never been so full of eggs as when I added other tanks with male bettas within sight. (10 feet away.)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that sounds horrible.

Apparently, it does happen sometimes.

Myth Or Fact About Female Bettas And Egg Binding? - Betta Splendens - Tropical Fish Forums

Surprised it's happened so often to you. Maybe you're feeding them too well? I've heard not feeding them for a couple of days will encourage them to reabsorb the eggs.
I over feed and fast my fish :{ They will go a day or two each week without food, but then they will get frozen bloodworms and shrimp one day, and flake (Omega One) other days. Bettas are such hogs that I am guilty of supplying too much food so that other fish can eat too. They leave no food uneaten quickly.

I've been giving one female epsom salt baths, but she still looks like she will explode like the others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.