The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had mixed experiences with sorority tanks but overall they're great.

Try to introduce the females all at once if you can. Just be aware that some females are not cut out for sororities. Watch them as they sort out their hierarchy in the first few days.

Tall plants will work the best since bettas tend to hang out near the surface. Remember that a 20g tall really has the same surface area as a 10 gallon so theres not much space to run to. Dense plantings will provide helpful cover.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
ya the males beat up on the females. However, with plants and room, and more than one female the male attention will be divided enough not to do any damage. What kind of 'wild' bettas are you planning on?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Be sure to cover the tank. I never set up a successful betta sorority tank even though I tried several times. I always had aggression and jumpers.

Only time I could ever keep female bettas together successfuly was in fry grow-out tanks, when they were stocked 30-50 fish in 20gal tanks (which is certainly NOT stocking I would recommend for a "permanent" tank).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.