The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hahaha you've got to love angelfish fights.

Looks like you may have a pair starting there. The one on the right looks like a male and the one on the left is almost definitely female. Good looking fish!

I hope it doesn't disappoint you, but they aren't actually koi...The spotted one is a gold marble pearlscale and the one with the orange face is a sunset blushing. Both are related to the koi pattern though, and look similar. If they do end up a pair, they would produce gold marble ghosts and gold ghosts, which would look more or less like the parent fish, but when mated together would give you blushing fish, a few of them being true koi angels.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Looks like you may have a pair starting there. The one on the right looks like a male and the one on the left is almost definitely female. Good looking fish!

I hope it doesn't disappoint you, but they aren't actually koi...The spotted one is a gold marble pearlscale and the one with the orange face is a sunset blushing. Both are related to the koi pattern though, and look similar. If they do end up a pair, they would produce gold marble ghosts and gold ghosts, which would look more or less like the parent fish, but when mated together would give you blushing fish, a few of them being true koi angels.
That´s exactly what I thought, it looks more like a mating ritual than a fight, it is quite gentle compared to a real fight. The fish on the right (all white with the golden forehead) is probably the male. The marbled one is the female. You are going to have to find a home for the third one if they spawn. Then you´ll see real aggression

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Na na, no disappointment at all. Not that I would love them any less if they were something else, they look great no matter what they are.

I hope they make a pair. :icon_smil

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Is the third one (the audience) a male or female? It sure stayed right there with them watching closely when the other two were tugging (kissing) each other. Sometimes it reminds me of a referee. :icon_smil

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is the third one (the audience) a male or female? It sure stayed right there with them watching closely when the other two were tugging (kissing) each other. Sometimes it reminds me of a referee. :icon_smil
Can´t say for sure but it is probably a female also. Two males and 1 female most probably would result in a real fight between the males with one taking over the other and harrassing it. Females are not as brutal with other fish except when guarding their eggs and fry.

In my "wolf-pack" of angels I can clearly tell I have 3 males, 1 confirmed female (the black pair that spawned last week) and probably 1 more female. I have 4 smaller ones that have not matured sexually yet.

It´s hard to explain but males turn more "bold", look a bit beefier, tend to develop a small nuchal hump or at least a more intense color in the forehead. The ventral section is a bit more square. Females have a more "slanted" ventral section and are definitely less "show-off" with the rest of the pack. Not exact science but with time you tend to notice the difference...

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can´t say for sure but it is probably a female also. Two males and 1 female most probably would result in a real fight between the males with one taking over the other and harrassing it. Females are not as brutal with other fish except when guarding their eggs and fry.

In my "wolf-pack" of angels I can clearly tell I have 3 males, 1 confirmed female (the black pair that spawned last week) and probably 1 more female. I have 4 smaller ones that have not matured sexually yet.

It´s hard to explain but males turn more "bold", look a bit beefier, tend to develop a small nuchal hump or at least a more intense color in the forehead. The ventral section is a bit more square. Females have a more "slanted" ventral section and are definitely less "show-off" with the rest of the pack. Not exact science but with time you tend to notice the difference...
Good info indeed, thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts