The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start up a shrimp tank. And was wondering what all you think I should feed them? Thanks

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
The can of worms questions.........

Some feed fancy expensive foods, some feed fish food, some feed only veggies like spinach, some dried leaf litter, some feed pellets, algae wafers, powder foods, frozen foods, bee pollen, some the same every day, some different 3 times a week, some rotate once a week.

As you can see, it's a wide open question. They will eat a variety of foods and the best is a mix of mostly veggie based material, whether algae wafers or fresh spinach with a small amount of protein once in a while, varied and fed a little bit a few times a week.

The true best food of shrimp is biofilm, which is what they eat 90% of the time as they graze all around the tank, moss, plants, driftwood, substrate, etc. We should only supplement that a few times a week in a variety of foods to mimic nature where they would be eating fallen leaves from trees, dying plant material, bugs, worms and other critters that fall into the water, fish and other shrimp that die, dead snails, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So pretty much spinach and veggie based things are good? With some protein like once a month? How about some of those almond leaves? Thanks!

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
So pretty much spinach and veggie based things are good? With some protein like once a month? How about some of those almond leaves? Thanks!
Almond leave is the best because it gives out tannin and supposedly has antibacterial matters? My shrimp start picking constantly on the leafs after 3 weeks in the tank. Plus they hide under the leaves for shelter :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. Thanks for the input guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts