The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a post a while back about my otos dying randomly. I have a lone survivor... I have been monitoring the oto for a while now since the incident with the other 3. I know I have algae in the tank. The outbreak is pretty bad. I heard they eat diatoms mainly, but the tank doesn't have that anymore. How would I know or what would I feed the oto to make sure he/she is satisfied? I tried cucumbers, algae wafers, and zucchini and neer seems to be of interest. The other 3 that died however would grave on the zucchini or wafers. This one is starting to look skinny again and I don't want lose him/her. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No idea what will work reliably for you, I too have otos that ignore zuchinni, spinach, etc. Occasionally I'll see them munching on some sinking pellets, but by and large they seem to grow fat on whatever is growing on the leaves of my plants as I see them on there all the time eating. The pellets that they occasionally munch on are hikari micro algae wafers that I throw in the tank for my shrimp

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea what will work reliably for you, I too have otos that ignore zuchinni, spinach, etc. Occasionally I'll see them munching on some sinking pellets, but by and large they seem to grow fat on whatever is growing on the leaves of my plants as I see them on there all the time eating. The pellets that they occasionally munch on are hikari micro algae wafers that I throw in the tank for my shrimp
Yeah, my oto just hides and stays still in one place now more than ever now. I did see it grazing on some leaves once in a while. But definitely got skinnier the past couple days. I feel bad honestly. No wonder why they are so hard to keep...

Bump:
Yeah, my oto just hides and stays still in one place now more than ever now. I did see it grazing on some leaves once in a while. But definitely got skinnier the past couple days. I feel bad honestly. No wonder why they are so hard to keep...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have heard good things about repashy soilent green for feeding oto. I am buying some this week to feed mine.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Its supposed to be good stuff. The ingredients list looks good so I find the reviews I have read easy to believe.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've never had zuchinni not work. Blanch/boil for 2 mins, then leave in the tank. Will likely take 3-4 days for them to see it as food, needs to soften. Most people take it out for fear of spoiling, but they need to learn its food and most people give up after a day or two.

I have 55 otos in my 90, and the only way that many would stay alive if with veggies.

Also like peppers, cucumber, basil, spinach, most veg repashy food, and Cory pellets for protein.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Otos are weirdly in love with Azoo Max Growth shrimp food. I bought it for my red cherry shrimp, and while the shrimp couldn't care less for it, the Otos come out of hiding and go nuts on the Azoo food. They couldn't care less for the sinking wafers or algae pellets I feed my Corys.

Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never had zuchinni not work. Blanch/boil for 2 mins, then leave in the tank. Will likely take 3-4 days for them to see it as food, needs to soften. Most people take it out for fear of spoiling, but they need to learn its food and most people give up after a day or two.

I have 55 otos in my 90, and the only way that many would stay alive if with veggies.

Also like peppers, cucumber, basil, spinach, most veg repashy food, and Cory pellets for protein.
I've had mine in the tank for about 3 day to the point where I try to remove the zucchini it just turns into mush and makes a huge mess in the tank. I still don't see the oto going for it. But the bladder snails seem to love em more and that's how I get rid of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine go for Aqueon algae wafers, sinking veggie pellets by omega one, they really like the dried seaweed kind of like sushi nori wraps from omega one, they do eventually go for spinach/zucchini blanched and left a couple days. I also read frozen blood worms if they are skinny to fatten them up-I haven't seen mine eat those, but I don't see too many on the substrate left. I think they also go for baby brine shrimp as whenever I put those in for fry the Otos come out and get really active. They mostly go for things after lights out. Just leave the veggies/seaweed/Repashy hanging in the tank for a few days and replace it when it's gross, I think unless the oto has something else going on and is poorly it will eventually try it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine go for Aqueon algae wafers, sinking veggie pellets by omega one, they really like the dried seaweed kind of like sushi nori wraps from omega one, they do eventually go for spinach/zucchini blanched and left a couple days. I also read frozen blood worms if they are skinny to fatten them up-I haven't seen mine eat those, but I don't see too many on the substrate left. I think they also go for baby brine shrimp as whenever I put those in for fry the Otos come out and get really active. They mostly go for things after lights out. Just leave the veggies/seaweed/Repashy hanging in the tank for a few days and replace it when it's gross, I think unless the oto has something else going on and is poorly it will eventually try it.
I will try out some of those options. I haven't seen my oto for two days now. I don't know where it went.. I'm hoping he/she didn't die...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wouldn't worry too much. I have 55+ in mine and barely see them, especially as the val forest has been growing in. They're hiding ninjas.
I usually can find the oto, but now I haven't seen it around for the past 3 days. That's the only reason why I'm a little worried. lol. Especially since it got skinnier so didn't want it to starve to death.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
@csong30 Thought I would let you know I bought some repashy super green. My oto have been tearing it up. They all have big fat bellies. I would recommend it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.