The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feed this way? I expect it is closer to what nature intended. High protein, yes, but would that really make any difference? Curious. Most flake foods are high protein to mimic real foods, correct? It is hard to know if the amount of protein in flakes/pellets is any less/more than bloodworms, shrimp, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's not that frozen foods are bad, it's what there missing. One very important one is (living Enzymes) The basis for all life. found in live/ living food.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Does anyone feed this way? I expect it is closer to what nature intended. High protein, yes, but would that really make any difference? Curious. Most flake foods are high protein to mimic real foods, correct? It is hard to know if the amount of protein in flakes/pellets is any less/more than bloodworms, shrimp, etc.
Most of the old school commercially branded flake is not all that great. The better foods list the ingredients and the important content like this from kensfish flake food: "Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein 43.0% min., crude fat 12.6% min., crude fiber 1.0% max., moisture 8.0% max. All natural ingredients, except for some artificial coloring. No preservatives."

I like to stick with brands that give this info as often as possible so you have a chance at comparing one to another. Some of the better known "newer" players like new life spectrum can be a good choice also.

Some frozen foods might offer more nutritional value than flakes, pellet, etc; but not necessarily all. I think the best advice is to offer a wide variety of not only types of food (flake, pellet, etc) but the actual ingredients like blackworm, bloodworm, earthworm, brine shrimp, etc. Veggies are an often overlooked aspect when it comes to feeding fish. Certain foods supplement with some vegetable matter; but lots of people supplement further by feeding something like peas; or even squash for certain species like plecos.

Reactions: AWolf

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I dumped a cory into my fry tank this morning, too many little critters were setting up house on the bottom of the tank due to it being topped off with green water every day.
Man is it looking fat this evening, ready to join the rest in their breeding tank. And, there is just some dust and snail poo left on the bottom.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
Yes - I feed my fish that way, about 90% of the time. They have lived long lives, if that counts for anything. Mostly Blood & White Worms (mosquito larvae really), some Krill, Daphnia, some Veggies. These mimic what they eat in nature closer than flakes and crumbs which, even if claiming wonderful percentages of this and that, may be waste products of some other processes. I also think that live food would be best, like Daphnia and Cyclops and Mosquito larvae from clean lakes and streams, but only the very lucky have easy access to those.
Not too concerned about lack of enzymes - in planted tanks there is an abundance of micro orgs/biofilm that most fish pick on during the day, I think that covers anything that may get lost during freezing.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Do you have any thoughts on whether feeding this way is good for water chemistry/tank cleanliness?
no food is good for water chemistry and cleanliness!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no food is good for water chemistry and cleanliness!
True. But there may be a level of water health that can be attained by changing the type of food. Also, the plants eat the nutrients that come from the digestion of that food, so clean animal and plant food as opposed to flake food with additives, may offer different nutrients to those plants...?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Something I noticed with the danios, after I started feeding them frozen bloodworm, is that the females seem to be carrying twice as many eggs, they are bursting full. I'm sure the platies are enjoying the egg snacks every morning.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I use frozen food, quality flakes, and algae wafers. I'll also toss any insects that happen to make their way into the house in the tank.

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
I mix things up ….. live blackworms , fruit flies , mosquito/mayfly larva in the spring , glass worms if I can get them , frozen , flakes . No particular sequence , whatever is around , with live foods taking preference .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use frozen food, quality flakes, and algae wafers. I'll also toss any insects that happen to make their way into the house in the tank.
its only a good idea to feed bugs you catch to your fish IF you use no insecticides around the house, otherwise, you may accidentally poison your fish!
just my 2 cents :wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts