The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I only kept endlers, I crushed up their Fluval Bug Bites so they could eat them. I'd feed them brine shrimp too but only the smallest bits could fit in their mouths, and the shrimp ate the rest. Now I have the endlers, a juvenile endler, and juvenile dwarf rainbowfish (pseudomugil luminatus), and their mouths are incredibly tiny since they're not adults yet. I plan to go out and buy Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets, but I have two questions:

#1: Will they eat off the surface? My endlers used to but it was a 5 gal, and the surface agitation seems to be a bit much for this gang in my new 20 gal. Should I get the Hikari Tropical Micro Wafers that sink? Maybe get both and just see what they respond better to?
Edit: Bought both to try them out. The micro wafers didn't sink until I swirled them around, and they were too big for even the endlers. The pellets were in various small sizes, some too big for the endlers, and not too many small enough for the juveniles to eat. At this point I wish someone just made a powder. I'm not sure my fish got enough to eat.

#2. How can I crush up frozen brine shrimp even smaller?

#3. What else can I feed them to have a varied diet?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
2) Are you buying frozen brine, or baby brine? If it's the latter, no clue. But most of them should be able to eat the frozen baby brine.

3) Look into Golden Pearls, as well as other small micron feeds. Frozen rotifers might be a good choice, as are most copepod fares.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I use daphnia and infusoria to feed fry. Then switch them to gammarus shrimp when they get bigger. People have success with baby brine shrimp.

Before I had a culture set up, I crushed Hikari first bites and dried brine shrimp into a fine powder, that worked fine as well.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you buying frozen brine, or baby brine? If it's the latter, no clue. But most of them should be able to eat the frozen baby brine.
I buy frozen brine shrimp from my LFS. They don't sell baby brines, though now that I know that's a thing, I wish they did. I'm not sure about buying frozen stuff online.

Look into Golden Pearls, as well as other small micron feeds. Frozen rotifers might be a good choice, as are most copepod fares.
This looks great! Any idea what size micron works for baby, juvenile, and adult nano fish?

I use daphnia and infusoria to feed fry. Then switch them to gammarus shrimp when they get bigger. People have success with baby brine shrimp.
Would freeze-dried daphnia work? I'm not sure about cultivating live daphnia, at least doing it in another tank. If I bought a lot of daphnia to live in the tank, would the fish go nuts and overeat?

I can't wait for my new tank to get some microorganisms of its own going. My last one had seed shrimp, copepods, and nematodes.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You might want to think a bit bigger. Like, search up how large BBS are. That's a good mid range spectrum of what most tiny nano fish can eat.

I've not had good luck with FD Daphnia. Or Frozen for that matter. It's usually just a bit too big for most of the smaller nano species. Perfect for the larger ones like neon tetras, but I wouldn't feed CPDs that for example.

Can't comment on the mini bloodworms.

The OO Kelp flakes are a bit hard to process I think. Like, they work well. But you might want to think about crumbling them, because those are really hard flakes that don't crumble very well.

No experience with the tropical mini algae wafers.

Have you considered making gel food (either Repashy or homemade)? Most fish can eat it, and it's a pretty good staple diet IME.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sorry, I do not think frozen or dried daphnia will work well for the early stages of fry. Like mentioned the size of the processed daphnia is too large. Crushing frozen food is not viable most of the time anyway. A lot of what was suggested in this thread will suit your purposes pretty well.

My culture is a hybrid culture consisting of daphnia of all ages + infusoria + green water. It is a little bit of maintenance but it pays off.

I feed CPD, ricefish, Scarlet Badis, Bumblebee gobies, and various community smaller fish with that and some gammarus shrimp.

Consider hatching your own baby brine shrimp, they double as fry and fish food and the eggs can be purchased by the pound.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone! I hadn't considered a gel, I've never tried that before. I'm laughing at some of their names, like "Soilent Green", "Morning Wood", and "Redrum", I love it. I want to avoid doing my own cultures for a few reasons, so this sounds like a good route. Would this supply a varied diet on its own, something I could feed daily, or do I need to add in other foods still? Currently I'm looking at the Repashy Community Plus gel for both the endlers and pseudomugil luminatus.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thank you everyone! I hadn't considered a gel, I've never tried that before. I'm laughing at some of their names, like "Soilent Green", "Morning Wood", and "Redrum", I love it. I want to avoid doing my own cultures for a few reasons, so this sounds like a good route. Would this supply a varied diet on its own, something I could feed daily, or do I need to add in other foods still? Currently I'm looking at the Repashy Community Plus gel for both the endlers and pseudomugil luminatus.
I think it provides a good staple food. You can (and I think, should) always try to supply a varied diet.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it provides a good staple food. You can (and I think, should) always try to supply a varied diet.
Do you mean I'd be okay just feeding them the Repashy Community Plus for their diet, or that I should switch it up daily with other things on the list? If the latter, I need to decide what I'm going to buy. I'm a little disappointed in the Hikari Micro Pellets and Wafers because as small as they are, they're still too big. Today I crushed up Fluval Bug Bites flakes for them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah, mix it up. Fry need algae, insect matter, protein from shrimp, etc. You won't get it all just feeding packaged foods. They tend to have high protein concentrations and little of much else

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hatching your own brine shrimp is super easy and doesn't require a permanent set up like other cultures, just somewhere you can set the hatchery for 2 or 3 days at a time. I use this thing, which doesn't require an air pump and it works great. It takes me about 5 minutes to set up and 5 minutes to clean up.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Repashy Community Plus has krill and fish meal, plant and algae matter, color enhancers, and 40% crude protein. Any idea what other food (from the list or otherwise) would complement it?

@ElleDee Two to three days at a time? Do you buy them online and just keep them a while until they're all gone instead of keeping a culture? Because that I would consider, if I could find a dedicated baby brine shrimp seller.

·
Registered
575 Posts
@ElleDee Two to three days at a time? Do you buy them online and just keep them a while until they're all gone instead of keeping a culture? Because that I would consider, if I could find a dedicated baby brine shrimp seller.
Sort of - you just keep a little container of eggs in the fridge and hatch them as needed. I'm not sure how long they last, but I've had mine for months and they are still hatching fine. The hatchery I linked comes with a pretty big thing of eggs and a little scoop the proper portion and eventually I'll need to order more.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sort of - you just keep a little container of eggs in the fridge and hatch them as needed. I'm not sure how long they last, but I've had mine for months and they are still hatching fine. The hatchery I linked comes with a pretty big thing of eggs and a little scoop the proper portion and eventually I'll need to order more.
This is officially amazing and super helpful, thank you! Question: How do you incubate at 80F? I assume there is no heater with this. I read you can use a heat mat under them set to 80F with a light above them (to attract them to the middle). Do you do the same? And do you have any advice for type of heating mat? I know the usual kind say not to keep them on all the time, or risk of fire.

Also I've ordered Golden Pearls, so once all the food gets here, I'll be using Repashy Community Plus, Golden Pearls, and baby brine shrimp. I'm not sure if this would be a complete diet for the fish, it seems light on the vegetable side.Is there another veg-based food I can add, or should I just go blanched zucchini slices (buying fresh food, has to stay fresh, makes a mess in the tank, big downside) twice a week?

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is officially amazing and super helpful, thank you! Question: How do you incubate at 80F? I assume there is no heater with this. I read you can use a heat mat under them set to 80F with a light above them (to attract them to the middle). Do you do the same? And do you have any advice for type of heating mat? I know the usual kind say not to keep them on all the time, or risk of fire.
No, I don't worry about incubating them at a particular temperature, and I do use a lamp. It's my understanding that they still hatch at room temperatures, but they might take a little longer to hatch. A lot of people just use an incandescent bulb in the lamp over the hatchery for a little extra heat, but I don't own incandescent bulbs anymore. However, my office tends to be a little warmer than the rest of my house (but still less than 80), so I leave the hatchery in there.

Here's my brine recipe:
4 cups warm (82 to 84F) tap water
15 g non-iodized salt (I use kosher salt from my kitchen, does not have to be aquarium salt)
a pinch baking soda to ensure the pH is above 8.0

That's it. It makes a little more than you need, so go by the fill line on the hatchery. I add a scoop of eggs around the outer edge as per the instructions, close the hatchery, place the light and wait. I have BBS in about 24 hours or less and do several harvests over the next couple days. I just rinse everything out when I'm done and have actually cleaned it with plain bleach once.

The above is not the final word in how to hatch BBS, but it's extremely simple and has worked perfectly for me every time, so I have had no reason to try anything else. The only real shortcomings are it doesn't make a whole lot at one time and if you only have one hatchery you won't get a continual supply of BBS, but it meets my needs exactly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.