The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I would not do it. Look up: "myiasis."

When I was a kid, I had a pet lizard. I fed it flies (don't ask how I got them - pretty disgusting). After doing this all summer, I noticed white things coming out the side of it's body. They were maggots eating away from inside, out. It died soon after. Whether or not fish have the same potential, you may want to investigate.

Reactions: Goodwood

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not do it. Look up: "myiasis."

When I was a kid, I had a pet lizard. I fed it flies (don't ask how I got them - pretty disgusting). After doing this all summer, I noticed white things coming out the side of it's body. They were maggots eating away from inside, out. It died soon after. Whether or not fish have the same potential, you may want to investigate.
It cannot seem to find anything in regards to aquarium fish. From what I gathered, houseflies that have not come into contact with feces or any sort of pesticide should be okay. I will report back in a few days to see how the Killifish are doing.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Not saying that bad things don't happen when feeding "wild" sources but my fish have all had feedings of house and fruit flies and I have not had an issue. Just be sure you know what type of insects they are and they aren't producing any toxins/ haven't been exposed to toxins- be smart about it.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
Just curious if there is any harm feeding houseflies to my Killifish? They seem to love them. My daughter enjoys swatting the flies and feeding the fish. Seems like a win/win/win.
I think houseflies are an excellent food.
I used to have African Butterfly Fish, and almost exclusively fed them house flies (and moths/butterflies/grasshoppers/hummingbirdsjustkidding) and they lived for >10 years until old age caught up with them.
If you are curious search for Mula on this board and you should find the related thread and pictures.

Over the years, I got so good in catching flies out of the air, I could almost do it with my eyes closed. Took me a while to "unlearn" my habit/reflex of catching flies after the AFB went into fish heaven.

Sorry, got a bit off topic here. :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to have African Butterfly Fish, and almost exclusively fed them house flies (and moths/butterflies/grasshoppers/hummingbirdsjustkidding) and they lived for >10 years until old age caught up with them.
If you are curious search for Mula on this board and you should find the related thread and pictures.

Over the years, I got so good in catching flies out of the air, I could almost do it with my eyes closed. Took me a while to "unlearn" my habit/reflex of catching flies after the AFB went into fish heaven.

Sorry, got a bit off topic here. :p
Awesome! Will search that. You are fine going off topic. I do it frequently. Hahaha

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had an African butterfly in my heavily-planted 90-gallon, still one of my favorite fish. We would get crane flies in the spring and summer, and they were attracted to the aquarium light at night. That fish never missed. He would also eat floating pellets, although I have forgotten the brand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.