The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of 10 hatchets in my 55g, for the past few months they've been doing ok but last week I lost one and I'm not sure why (water params and all other fish and shrimp are fine).

I've wondered whether they aren't getting a good enough diet, as whilst I regularly put frozen food into the tank it usually sinks quite quickly so they miss out and just get normal tetra flake food. Does anyone have any recommendations for good food for hatchets? I can't remember where I heard they need a lot of live/frozen food so not sure if I'm worrying for nothing.
Thanks for your help :smile:

·
Registered
234 Posts
well i have 6 silver hachets. i feed frozen bloodworms (which they do get), colour bits,and plankton/krill grow out flake. mine are fine always have a belly on them, they eat like pigs and love the colour bits.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Rhea, my experience with hatchets were not pleasant.
2 jumped out and became carpet stains.
2 didn't eat for weeks despite my best efforts.
when they finally ate after I introduced nearly a dozen
different types of floating dry food, the only thing they
went for were tiny floating pellets, not flakes. they went
for Tetra Bits, which are small 1-2mm kernels of red food,
but I'm sure any bit size floating fish meal bits will be fine.
good luck with them, and just be patient if you don't see
them eating as they can seem very illusive about it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My marble hatchets will eat flake and freeze dried tubifex worms, frozen bloodworms, but they love live brine shrimp, mosquito larvae and daphnia. For a special treat try wingless fruit flies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'll buy some different food at the weekend as see if they go for it more.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Especially easy to do if you make 20 ff cultures a week for your frogs!

Scott
Sanford, Maine
My marble hatchets will eat flake and freeze dried tubifex worms, frozen bloodworms, but they love live brine shrimp, mosquito larvae and daphnia. For a special treat try wingless fruit flies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts