The Planted Tank Forum banner

feeding frequency, growth rates and ultimate size

635 4
My question is specifically about angelfish, but I suppose it applies to other species. I am wondering how much if at all feeding frequency and growth rates of juveniles affect ultimate adult size.

I know that some Discus keepers feed four or five times per day and change 50% water DAILY to get rapidly large fish. Good for them I say, but what if instead they fed 3 times per week? Certainly they would grow large more slowly, but would they be runts in the end, or even much smaller at all? I am trying to avoid the heavy water change regime that comes with heavy feeding a school of a dozen juvenile angels. Even when they eat every morsel, the water is ultimately degraded by so much food and waste that I want to swing the pendulum as far the other way as I can. Would a good robust feeding 3 times per week grow out young fish without any adult size sacrifice?

Youngsters need food to grow, so at what age would it make sense to make food just a little scarce?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Getting a good knowledgeable answer may not happen. How about just an honest feeling on the subject? I don't feel my feeding does as much for my fish growth as several other things. Space and good water seem to change my African Cichlids size much more than food. When I got into a squeeze on space and had about 90 fry growing out in a 75, I got less than the normal size and color. There was no problem with aggression but they just never grew as well.

I don't think less frequent, heavy feedings will work to keep the water in good shape as well as small two a day might. I also like to look in on what's up in the tank more often.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
missed this

Free swimmers fed on brine shrimp 3x daily if you can get to them that often. Twice a day here due to work schedules and it seems OK.
Flake eating fry up to nickle / dime size twice a day.
Once a day @ quarter size.
Adults can be staggered out to about every three days @ dollar size and still grow quit well or continue with daily.

Clean, quality foods are one of the biggest considerations (imo).
Frozen is something I no longer buy after problems.
Feeding flake, some freeze dried and pellet foods it does go bad, gets stale just like any other organic. Light, temp and air are the considerations.
I buy 1lb or larger containers but portion out what I'll go through in about 10 days to 2 weeks and freeze the rest. Vitamin, protein booster, carotenoids, growth blends (flake) in a rotation.

I've used and returned for repeat purchases of almost every product offered by these 2 vendors and won't buy anywhere else. Bought the 'counter' - box store stuff up until I read enough and started breeding better lines of fish.
http://www.angelsplus.com/StoreFish.htm
http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/

Water quality, temperature and food are HUGE factors on rapid development but you won't get straight clean fins on veils without good water regardless of the other factors.

HTH

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for chiming in. One thing that probably caused me to ask this is that I have never fed a large tank before and it seems that I am dumping lots of food in there. A school of 45 rummynose tetras (greedy eaters) and (soon) a dozen quarter size angelfish makes for a chaotic feeding frenzy with little or no food reaching the bottom. In fact, I wonder about the scavenging crew getting enough; the rummys find everything in a hurry.

I want to keep the water clean - this is the real goal - and I know water changes are the key, but so is feeding rate.

wkndracer: I have some of the Angels Plus food; thanks for both links! I use both frozen and freeze dried foods with occasional flake. Flake is the messiest. I won't miss frozen with those freeze dried choices you have shown me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.