The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some Danio Erythromicrons and I'm having a hard time getting to feed. I've addded a black background and noticed they have been a little more active and not hiding as much. They don't seem to eat much of the omega one flakes anymore. Also, started feeding some TherA with garlic micro sinking pellets, but not too sure if they are eating that because it sinks right away. Is there some other foods where I can add that'll attract them to it?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I haven't personally kept those, but I have a lot of wild caught CPD's, so they should be similar. My CPD's will eat anything I give em.
Wild caught fish can take some time before they accept commercial foods, plus if that is a new brand food to them, they can take days before they accept the new food (pretty much have to starve before accepting new foods, which is common among fish).

So I'd say, just keep feeding the foods. If those are .5mm pellets, they should float for a while if placed gently on the water surface. If you have a ton of rapid current, then turn off the filters for a bit or feed directly where the fish are if the pellets are getting kicked down fast (they do sink fairly slowly).
Flakes tend to sink slower than pellets, and they scatter better so it reaches the fish better.

In the mean time, if you are worried about them starving to death (you do want to starve them to ween them onto new foods, but just recommending frozen or live if the fish is dangerously skinny), frozen bloodworms seems to be a favorite among most fish. Feed that every so often, but still feed the commercial dry foods as well, so they get accustomed to it and not get spoiled on frozen or live foods. Live foods are another option you could do until you ween them onto a commercial diet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know if this stuff works universally, but I feed mine Almost Natural Tropical Fish Food Supercolor Flakes. They go nuts for them. They occasionally go for blackworms, too, although the worms are usually a little too big for them.

·
Registered
945 Posts
How about frozen brine or blood worms? I have not kept this fish but several other danio and never had problem with them eating flack food. Let me get this straight they were eating and now there not?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, they were eating the flakes for a while and then I started to feed them some NLS Thera A .5mm pellets, I would do both by switching between the two. But now I don't really see them going after them. I do notice the pellets being gone over time so I don't know if they are scavenging when they are on the bottom or if the bladder snails are getting to the pellets or pygmies getting to them. I tried feeding them freeze dried blood worms and those are too big for them to eat. They try to pick at it, but than they give up fairly quickly because they can't eat it.. lol.. I'll try turning off my filter and power head and see if that helps. I'm thinking they are just having a hard time getting to the food since I have pretty fast current from the filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.