The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am wondering about how I should be feeding my crystal shrimp in my bowl.

I have housed these crystals in my bowl for over 6months now, starting from when they were just tiny juveniles. They have grown into impressive 1"+adults and have carried eggs multiple times in the near past. recently even some of their offspring survived and is growing well in the bowl.

Back when i had only cherry shrimp in here, they thrived by eating shirakura ebi dama and the ebi dama special foods. I also threw in a small amount of the shirakura chi ebi (baby shrimp food) whenever they had babies. They cherries grew extremely well and constantly fed on this food.

Now that i have only crystals, I find that things are a bit different. first of all the shrimp do not always go for the pellet, not even when its first dropped in the bowl and is fresh (I replace the pellet once a week). The shrimp mostly spend their time sifting through sand, on the DW and plants...hopefully eating bio-film, but I'm not sure about how much they're actually getting...

I am starting to get concerned about my crystals because they rarely take the food I give them, resulting in the pellet sitting on the glass and having all sorts of growths on it (white dots, planaria, etc.)
From time to time i think a shrimp will pass by the pellet, do something with it for a minute or two and then move on. or sometimes completely ignore it.

I have also tried feeding hikari algae wafers(spirulina) with 0 response, and Tetra Spirulina flakes with good response but i think they just rip the flakes to tiny shreds and don't really eat them...

I have never yet tried to feed them fresh spinach leaves (blanched) or any vegetables, but i think I'll soon be forced to because they don't want to eat the majority of what i give them.

If anyone could come up with some feeding ideas and foods that their crystals readily eat, i would really appreciate it if you could share these ideas with me =)
Thank you.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Shrimp wil also tire of the same foods. Have you been feeding them the same foods for those six months?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mine are the same way, I have only ever seen them be excited for earthworm flakes......and that was only once, they fought over it. Most of the time they don't care about anything I put in the tank. I too see them picking at the plants and dw.....interested to see what others have to say about this

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shrimp wil also tire of the same foods. Have you been feeding them the same foods for those six months?
Yes, i do not really know of any more quality foods that crystals should like. any suggestions?
As i mentioned in the OP, these are the foods i've tried:
Shirakura ebi dama
" ebi dama special
Hikari Algae Wafer
Tetra Spirulina Flakes

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Yes, i do not really know of any more quality foods that crystals should like. any suggestions?
As i mentioned in the OP, these are the foods i've tried:
Shirakura ebi dama
" ebi dama special
Hikari Algae Wafer
Tetra Spirulina Flakes
Seems you did try a variety there. Do you let the CRS clean out their systems once or twice a week? As in not feeding them anything for one day. That might help get their appetite back. Regardless of the amount of biofilm in their tank they should still be interested in the food at least. Also try feeding them some blanched vegies as a greater change than different prepared foods.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thank you!

I will try some blanched spinach and I also have dried almond leaves that i might use (catappa)

I do not leave them without food for a day on purpose, it just seems like they don't really eat at all, so i fear of starving them, but ill try not feeding for a day, thanks!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While they show no interest in the almond leaf (which will stay in until it becomes more palatable), the shrimp did enjoy the spinach. I'll probably feed them some spinach every week for a day or two.

I also will soon have some MOSURA Excel shrimp food, so I'll see how they like that one!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine seem totally oblivious to anything i put in the tank at all as well, they're too preoccupied with eating all the mosses/algae in my tank to care. I guess it doesnt matter tho because that's pretty much all they eat in the wild anyway? lol

I still havent tried putting any blanched veggies in yet tho, but from what ive read in other threads it's really a YMMV type of thing and they dont always like spinach.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my crystals did like that spinach! they didn't eat it to the stem like my cherries do (lol) but still probably got something out of it.

They do have a lot of plants and moss in their bowl so that's what they spend most of their time gathering food off of...

They took some of my spirulina flakes again right after i removed the spinach, so their varied died is looking more promising.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.