The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some peppered cories over the weekend, and I have some questions about feeding them. I have read about feeding them various sinking type foods, but how do you keep the other fish from eating the food put in for the cories? I have a few platies, guppies, and neons in the tank with them. Once they are finished eating the food that I put in for them, they start to scrounge around for anything that is edible including the sinking food for the cories. They are pigs and eat everything that I put in the tank and I want to make sure that the cories are getting their fair share of food. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Break the sinking food up to different parts of the tank. If the corys are still not getting enough and are becoming too thin, you may have to move them to a different tank.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
They get enough, don't worry. I release dry food underwater so it doesn't float, some gets to the gravel that way. Even if I put in sinking wafers and the other fish eat some the corys get their share but feeding at night is a good idea. I haven't ever read about corys eating snails but I caught one of my peppered corys sucking a ramshorn snail out its shell this past summer and if you feed live worms the corys will be front and center!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I also feed my corys and my kuhli loaches at night, because in order to provide enough food for them by day would mean overfeeding the rest of the fish in order to make sure enough gets to the bottom, and stuffing my fish silly every feeding is not how I like to do it. With frozen food I don't mind it spreading all over the tank because this stuff contains much higher water content then prepared foods and so if fish gorge on it, it's not bad for them like overeating prepared food can be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.