The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 25+ ghost shrimp in my tank with 3 otos, I was curious on how to feed all of them and how often? I feed the otos algae pellets when algae thins, and the ghost shrimp hikari crab cuisine pellets. Is it one pellet per shrimp? As I wasn't comfortable with the idea of dumping in 20ish pellets aha. Let me know guys! thanks

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would start out with 3-5 pellets. General rule is what they can eat in a few hours. Then you can add or subtract pellets based on the length of time it takes them to eat everything. You don't want rotting food all over the tank. My ghost shrimp love bloodworms! I feed my shrimp every other day.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I find it difficult to feed the ghost shrimp in my Guppy tank. Every time I feed them pellets, the guppy bully them out of the food. I did notice that when I feed the guppies flakes, some of it gets tumbled down by way of the HOB output and the ghost shrimp eat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find it difficult to feed the ghost shrimp in my Guppy tank. Every time I feed them pellets, the guppy bully them out of the food. I did notice that when I feed the guppies flakes, some of it gets tumbled down by way of the HOB output and the ghost shrimp eat.
Mine are super hungry eaters, eating constantly. I introduced a few recently and took the betta out. The only thing in the tank currently is the numerous shrimps and 3 ottos. Extremely low bioload, moderately planted tank and over filtration for the tank as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My ghost shrimp loved Hakari first bites fry food. When I would put it in the tank for the molly fry all the shrimp, ghosties and blue pearl, would come out and start grabbing it like crazy. I also had a large increase in baby ghosties with it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My ghost shrimp loved Hakari first bites fry food. When I would put it in the tank for the molly fry all the shrimp, ghosties and blue pearl, would come out and start grabbing it like crazy. I also had a large increase in baby ghosties with it.
How many pellets per shrimp etc?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just put eight ghosties in my Fluval View. They have been happily munching on decaying plants, algae, and whatever else they can find. The tank is cleaning up nicely. I've also been feeding them about one shrimp pellet each per day. In my experience, they eat just about anything, including their own young and fellow sick adults.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If feeding the fry food I just dropped in a pinch. It is a really fine powder and a little goes a long way. If using pellets just drop in 4 or 5 for the shrimp you have. You could crush them a little to make it easier for the shrimp. I had so many ghost shrimp and blue pearl shrimp in my 29 gallon tank it looked like an invasion. LOL I would put a pinch of powdered food in a day. They also ate any leftover fish food that happened to survive the molly feeding frenzy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just put eight ghosties in my Fluval View. They have been happily munching on decaying plants, algae, and whatever else they can find. The tank is cleaning up nicely. I've also been feeding them about one shrimp pellet each per day. In my experience, they eat just about anything, including their own young and fellow sick adults.
If feeding the fry food I just dropped in a pinch. It is a really fine powder and a little goes a long way. If using pellets just drop in 4 or 5 for the shrimp you have. You could crush them a little to make it easier for the shrimp. I had so many ghost shrimp and blue pearl shrimp in my 29 gallon tank it looked like an invasion. LOL I would put a pinch of powdered food in a day. They also ate any leftover fish food that happened to survive the molly feeding frenzy.
From what I'm getting, i still don't have a definate answer. Some say 4-5 for the 20+ some say one each which would mean 25+. I'm using the hikari crab cuisine and also algae wafers for my ottos as well. So I'm still uncertain, any help?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts