The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, Im sorry if this thread offends anyone, feel free to let me know if Im out of line with this thread or what, huh?

So, now that thats out of the way, I just got a couple of convict cichlids and am really trying to get some nice color. I have noticed that a few people feed their convict cichlids live shrimp. So my question is which shrimp? I am looking to get some cheap shrimp that will breed easy in my ten gallon...

Any sugestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
lol i dont see how it would offend but

those feeder shrimps are ghost shrimps

1$ for a dozen or so

very cheap, even though non of my lfs has

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I would give cherries a shot. They reproduce quicker than any other shrimp that I know of. I wouldn't want to feed anything with the feeders I see at my LFS.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frozenbarb: You never know LOL I have seen some people get pretty angry about theses sorts of subjects

My lfs has ghost shrimp for around 30 cents but they say they need bracksh water, another lie?

And around how much do cherries run?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have had ghost shrimp in freshwater for over a year, still going strong. Cherries go from 1-3 dollars each, but you will have a breeding colony from a dozen in a few months.

·
Registered
200 Posts
as for the pest store usually most do not know what they have when it comes to shrimps or amphibians. Ok so "feeder" shrimp in the USA belong to the genus Palaemonetes. It all depends who their dealer is to which specie they get. The most common in the Chicagoland/NW Indiana I have come across is Palaemonetes paludosus, which lives in freshwater. There are other North American "ghost shrimp" belonging to the genus Palaemonetes such as on the east coast, florida who are brackish or young need brackish water.

I have sucessfull raised Palaemonetes paludosus in an aquaria and raised young from larvae to adulthood. I have also noticed sometimes store selling "ghost shrimp" and "feeder shrimp" to be a mixture of Palaemonetes, Caridina, and Macrobrachium. Like I said, it all depends on who the stores supplier is.

as for Palaemonetes paludosus, they usually have little red bands on the aentenae and feeler arms.

I hope the helped answer a bit.

Yes it is ok to feed your cichlids live shrimps, especially if you raised them yourself. If you plan to harvest your own shrimp, you will be more sucessful with Neocaridina than with Palaemonetes for neocaridina produce mini versions of adults rather than delicate larva than Palaemonetes. Also, Palaemonetes adults have been known to eat their planktonic young.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Those feeder ghost shrimps can very dangerous, I say. Feeder livestock aren't taken care of entirely too well. I've seen some with tapeworms in them, and yeck, I wouldn't want that to get into my fish.

And I think with ghost shrimp, they require brackish water for the young to successful grow?

Anyways, like someone suggested, if you have a breeding colony of a RCS, I would say they may make better feeders. Which would basically be what AxolotlFarmer. Better RCS than ghost.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Here's the catch: Once you start to keep RCS, you may not want to feed them to your fish. So then you'll be stuck with tons of cherries, like the rest of us. LOL

No really, they breed like roaches and would be your best bet (as others have already stated). At least then, you have control as to what your fish are eating and won't have to worry about "cooties" that may infect your fish.

Looks like your fish will be enjoying "lobsters" for dinner then, eh? :eek: :icon_eek: :tongue: LOL

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for they help everyone!

So it's a no go on the ghost shrimp. I don't want to have to buy salt or anything, and im looking for an easy breeder with out the complication of figuring out the species.

My main problem with RCS is money LOL
Those things are expensive. But I do want the best for my fish so I may have to splurge on a few of em. Arn't there different grades of them or something? Could anyone point me to the cheapest ones? LOL
And would RCS be O.K in a 10 gallon with no special conditions?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Set up a 10g tank and get some moss and a few rocks. Buy about 15-20 cherry shrimp, which should cost you ~$20-25. They have no special requirements besides stable conditions and drop an algae wafer in there every few days, or you get get more gourmet foods like some people. Within a few months, you'll have a hundred or more. I've had mine for ~ 2 months (stared with ~20) and I have at least 50 now.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Post a message saying you're looking to buy cherry shrimp on the swap-and-shop here -- someone may have some for sale inexpensively, or may be willing to trade you for plants or equipment.

In my experience, they multiple very quickly and without being particularly picky. Keep the tank clean, don't use any foods or medicines that contain copper, use a filter that won't suck up the babies (like a sponge filter, or put a sponge over the intake of your regular filter), and read up on red cherry shrimp in the Planted Tank forums and I think you'll have everything you need for a breeding colony of feeder shrimp before long.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done and Done!

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just an FYI...I have raised 4 GS babies in my RCS tank...freshwater.

Here is a picture:

Maybe I was just lucky.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You dont have to buy salts to breed most ghost shrimp sold at the pet store. Like I said before its more likely they sell the freshwater variety in the USA. But, the young need a lot of microfoods and are more difficult to raise than the necaridina/caridina shrimps. You can find some in the swap and shop sometimes going for a dollar each. If you get a dozen, You will have many soon. I took a single female once and had her a ten gallon to give birth. There are about 30-40 sub adults in there now. Just to give you an idea... A whole lot easier and faster than raising freshwater ghost shrimps. Goodluck, I am sure you can find a good deal here!

suzie, you are luck for the fact some grew to shrimp, if it was brackish shrimp, you would not have that juvinile there. Congratulations! These are not the easiest to raise(unless you have some sort of pond-farm thing) Just be wary when they become adults, they may pick on some of the baby cherries. They are not that agressive, but sometimes they may pick on somebody. They wont hurt an adult, they will only eat another shrimp if it is on its way to the death bed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which would my fish benefit the most from nutritionally?
I already have posted a thread saying I wanted RCS anyway...

·
Registered
381 Posts
suzie, you are luck for the fact some grew to shrimp, if it was brackish shrimp, you would not have that juvinile there. Congratulations! These are not the easiest to raise(unless you have some sort of pond-farm thing) Just be wary when they become adults, they may pick on some of the baby cherries. They are not that agressive, but sometimes they may pick on somebody. They wont hurt an adult, they will only eat another shrimp if it is on its way to the death bed.
I am moving the GS to my communtiy tank in a few more weeks when they are a bit bigger. I know they will eat the cherries. I just wanted to see if I could raise them. I don't plan on breeding them. I want RCS and later CRS.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Rodney, It may be easier to just get or make your own high quality food for your fish. Live food isn't always the best option.

Just something to look into:icon_wink

-Andrew

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never thought of making my own food hmm... well thats a whole new thread.

I have come across a seller and was wondering if 1 cm was big enough to ship, or would it be better to buy more mature shrimp?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts