The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a problem with massive algae growth over the course of two days due to my co2 diffuser/reactor failing to start properly when on a timer. This resulted in two days of 52w of light over a 10g tank with NO co2.

I'm wondering, would there be any dramatic negative effects to only running my lights and co2 on this tank monday through friday, when I'm at work and can be sure there are no unexpected problems? I'm working on modifying my reactor to make sure it starts up properly, but was just curious if having the lights off each weekend would be a problem.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will help. Try spot dosing H202 or Excel as well. You need to stabilize your CO2 and stay consistent with it.
Thanks, I actually ordered some flourish excel today, along with a drop checker.

I'd like to move to pressurized co2, but I'm not sure I can afford it for this tank.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I recently had a problem with massive algae growth over the course of two days due to my co2 diffuser/reactor failing to start properly when on a timer. ...
Why don't you run you DIY CO2 24/7? You can have an air stone come on at night if you need it.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
... I'm wondering, would there be any dramatic negative effects to only running my lights and co2 on this tank monday through friday, when I'm at work and can be sure there are no unexpected problems? I'm working on modifying my reactor to make sure it starts up properly, but was just curious if having the lights off each weekend would be a problem.
There are some people on the forum that cut their lights off one or two days a week. They say that it lowers the power bill a bit and the plants don't mind.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why don't you run you DIY CO2 24/7? You can have an air stone come on at night if you need it.
Left C, I could do this, but I'm reasonably confident that I know what the issue is with the reactor filter starting up, and have found an easy fix. I have one of the same filters at home, so I'm going to do a trial run and see if I'm correct. In the meantime though, yeah, I'll probably just run it all the time instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts