Friday, February 02, 2007 7:30:00 PM
General Meeting
St. James Episcopal Church
8235 W. 44th Avenue
Wheat Ridge, CO
Get Google Map

Event Open to Anyone!

Program by Dave Schieltz:
Dave Schieltz has been in the hobby and fish clubs for 33 years. He is on the speakers’ tour and traveled to five different cities to present programs in 2003. Ask him about his collecting trip to the Amazon. Dave is also a past president of the CAS.

Monthly Bowl Show:
Due to the cancellation of the January meeting, the bowl shows for January and February will be combined at the February meeting.
January
Minnows, Danios, Rasboras & White Clouds. Shown in pairs.
Corydoras and related genera. Pairs or two fish per entry.
Open Class.
February
Rainbows. Shown in pairs.
African cichlids. Shown in pairs with divider, if needed.
Open Class.

Promptness Award:
Make sure that your at the meeting by 7:30 for your chance to win the Proptness Award.

(All this information has been gathered from the CAS Member's Newsletter... Newsletter Editor: Pam McIntosh)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks for the post! I hope all the local TPT members can attend.

·
Registered
734 Posts
How long do the meetings usually last? Not trying to cut it short or anything, just so I know about what time we'll be getting home after our almost 3 hour drive home with plants and fishies... Do I need to bring anything other than ourselves (registered thru snail mail, so that should be already done...)? Do they have snacks or drinks there, or can we bring our own drinks (non alcoholic of course)? Really look forward to putting faces with the user names!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Guys what are these meetings like? Do people bring their tanks, is it lecture based about aquariums and fish keeping etc? I am wondering how the setup of these meetings are.
Thanks
Damian

·
Registered
430 Posts
RE: What are meetings like

To all those considering attending their first CAS meeting:

Meetings start with the president going over current news. Next, the speaker of the month makes their presentation on some topic related to aquarium fish (these can range anywhere from collecting trip reports to breeding difficult and rare fish). The presentation is followed by the monthly bowl show, where members bring various fish to be judged for cash prizes. Lastly a mini-auction is held where plants and fish raised by members are sold. Part of the proceeds go to fund the club. Meetings generally are over at 9:00 pm.

CAS meetings are quite informal....come as you are. I almost always see fish at the bowl show and for sale that I have never seen in LFS before. Plus, the auction is a great place to pick up healthly plants.

I hope to see you all there on Feb 2.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do they have snacks or drinks there, or can we bring our own drinks (non alcoholic of course)?
There is snacks and something to drink, I just bring my own drinks. There is a group of us that go out after the meeting to an Italian place down the street for pizza, pasta, or whatever you want and beer or drink of choice. We could bring a new tradition to the meeting and just start tailgating before hand if you like ;). Look forward to meeting you all the new people. My name is Justin and here is my mug.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What is everyone bringing for the auction? ( if you are ) I am still looking for some more plants to get my tanks jump started as I just moved and redid my old established tank and I have 3 new ones going and am still needing some plants but would rather get them local rather than online and we all know there isn't a local shop worth a crap to buy from other than Premier got some of my plants lol but I am sure they look 10x's worse in the week they have been there since when I dropped them off.

All I have to offer right now is some starter cultures of vinegar eels I think I may bring in some of the fish I want to get rid of like my dwarf puffers...

·
Registered
205 Posts
So who is still coming? Do you think its still going to take place and not be canceled this month ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I havn't heard either way yet. I'll post here when I find out.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't had any news about cancellation... I sure hope it is not.

I just got done packing some plants to sell at the auction...

Still can't catch one of the fish I want to bring to the bowl show.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I haven't heard anything from the CAS either regarding another cancellation. I even sent them an email.....wish they posted a phone number on the website. Likewise, I have already bagged up some plants. See you there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah I am not going to be too happy I have fish, plants and vinegar eels all ready to go as well. See everyone there!

·
Registered
205 Posts
It was great meeting the newer people, this was my first meeting since September so there were a bunch of new faces and I met most of them. Look forward to chatting some more with you guys. There was some great plants there Duane and Taf Caf ( I think your name is Matt but I am really bad with remembering names, sorry ) your guys plants were great. The vinegar eels didn't go over as well as I thought they would be oh well gave a few bucks to the club lol.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, sometimes things sell really well, and sometimes not so hot. It really fluctuates depending on the people who are there.

(Nope, name is Chris.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sorry about that Chris, yeah I noticed that if you bring plants that aren't "easy" or common ones they don't bring much in the mini auction. Anything with java attached to it sells great though lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
Plant people at the CAS

I agree about the turnout at last night's meeting. It's good to see so many plant people there...must be a record for us. Glad to have you back, Justin, as you are the one that started the "craze" at CAS. Maybe the March meeting will bring more new faces.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It was great meeting the newer people, this was my first meeting since September so there were a bunch of new faces and I met most of them. Look forward to chatting some more with you guys. There was some great plants there Duane and Taf Caf ( I think your name is Matt but I am really bad with remembering names, sorry ) your guys plants were great. The vinegar eels didn't go over as well as I thought they would be oh well gave a few bucks to the club lol.
I almost got some of the eels.. I've tried to make them grow a few times myself, but totaly failed and ended up witha stinky mess hahah

Yea,my names Matt

·
Registered
205 Posts
Really? That's strange I have never had a problem with them. All I do is get a gallon jug do 50% straight tap water 50% apple cider vinegar fill to about 2-3" from the top (sometimes more depending on the shape of the jug), cut up junks of an apple put a piece of panty hose over the opening of the jug with a rubberband and just leave it alone.

My culture I had in PA I forgot about for about a year and it was so over run with eels it was unreal to see how many there were in the jug. If anyone needs a starter just let me know I have a few more cultures going.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Any fish that sees them will eat them they are really small so they are great fry food and smaller fish will eat them as long as they spot them.They are good because they can live in the tank for awhile and don't drown like microworms and the like. I am not sure about the nutrition of them I was thinking about experimenting with trying to "gut load" them with something but I haven't had the chance to yet and I would have to get some of the powders I might get around to it in a month or two lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts